Spitamenes

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jona
Hetairos (companion)

Spitamenes

Post by jona »

Dear friends,The Babylonian chronicle known as ABC 8 has already been known for some time. It deals with a Darius, who has always been identified with Darius the Great. However, about two years ago, it has been identified by Bert van der Spek as dealing with Darius III, and a rather unusual string of cuneiform signs was read as A-lik-sa (Alexander). You can consult it at http://www.livius.org/cg-cm/chronicles/ ... 06.htmlThe tablet, which is in the British Museum, has been restudied. On the reverse was a string of signs that appeared rather strange: pi-ta- and a sign that may be nu or mu. No one knew what to make of it, and an earlier attempt to read the Greek personal name Peithon was never really convincing.However, Bert van der Spek tells me that the almost illegible sign that preceded the pi-ta-nu/mu sign is an /s/. It is likely that it was a reference to the Sogdian rebel Spitamenes, whose real name may, like Zarathustra's, have been Spitama.Unfortunately, that is all there is: a very brief reference to Spitamenes, followed by the words "his troops".Jona
ancientlibrary
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Spitamenes

Post by ancientlibrary »

Welcome back Jona! I'm sure we'll all check it out.
heinrich
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by heinrich »

Nice to hear from you again, Jona.It's such a pity that those tablets always contain lacunas and that the brief references are often merely confirming things we already knew. Yet, corroboration is important too.HM
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

JonaWas this the cuneiform tablet that we both touched when we went to the British Museum last Thursday? If so, it's very exciting - and it's very kind of you to tell us.Two weeks ago I was walking in Apamea, the Syrian town named after Apama, Spitamenes' daughter. I couldn't take any photos as I was veiled head-to-toe in black robes, after going to a traditional wedding; but the town was very impressive and I paid my respects at the temple of Zeus. Cleopatra, Antony, Caracalla and Septimius Severus went there too.Here's a not-very-good link: http://www.atlastours.net/syria/apamea.htmlIt's actually very impressive - marvellous remains high up on a ridge in green fields of spring wheat with no signposts, no fences, no guides; red anemones and blue hyacinths growing amid the carved capitals, lizards scurrying up the walls, carvings of the name 'Alexander' on the column tops,local families picnicking on the grass, and the muezzins' call to prayer rising from the valleys.In the morning, I was shown some coins found in cave-dwellings in the Syrian village where I stayed; and one had an unmistakeable Ptolemy profile; others were of Roman emperors.The same day we crossed Alexander's path from Issus down to Tyre, walked in Seleucus' path in Apamea and crossed the desert to Damascus where Darius' treasure was strewn after Issus, before being captured by Parmenio. Barsine, Antigone(Philotas' mistress), Amastris (Darius' niece) and many other royal ladies were captured there.It's a cliche to say that you're walking with the echoes of the past, but that's how it felt.By the way, there are lots of cuneiform tablets in Apamea museum - would they be from Alexander's time , and if so is anyone studying them ?Susan
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Susan, that is such an evocative description that I almost felt I was there with you. What a shame you couldn't take photographs of the temple of Zeus. I'll be looking forward to any photographs of the rest of your trip. :-)All the best,Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by jona »

"Was this the cuneiform tablet that we both touched when we went to the British Museum last Thursday? If so, it's very exciting - and it's very kind of you to tell us."YES! Meanwhile, Bert has decided that several signs can be read as Aria - which makes sense. I'll keep you all informed.Jona
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Does anyone know Alexander the great's real name?