sacrifices

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: sacrifices

Post by yiannis »

Alas Smitty! I cannot find any pictures of it. I have seen the excavations in some Greek newspaper, as well as pictures of engraved eagles at the corners of the temple. Who knows when the findings will be officially presented.The cult of Zeus Soter was quite popular at the time, also in Athens and it almost replaced all other Gods. The epithet "Soter" (Saviour) was attached to Zeus and Athena and this was believed to be a significant step towards monotheism and the swift domination of Christianity in Greece.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I did find some things today in my book about Macedonia (a large tome presented to me by a Greek journalist friend). It named Zeus Ammon as one of the main gods in Macedon. But I didn't see anything mentioned about Zeus Soter. I also checked some other sources and couldn't find anything.
I have a description of the sanctuary for Z.A. There were also shriens to Askelepios, Athena Alkedimos, Heralkels Phylakos, the Kaberoi, the Muses and Poseidon.
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Hi Ruth, it was definatelly Zeus Soter. I remember it very clearly and it's a recent find. There were pictures, in the article, of the foundations of a temple with engraved eagles etc... Perhaps it was joined Zeus-Ammon/Soter?
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Veering a little OT

Post by amyntoros »

"The epithet "Soter" (Saviour) was attached to Zeus and Athena and this was believed to be a significant step towards monotheism and the swift domination of Christianity in Greece." I'm sorry, but I can't see how this was a "significant step" in any direction. It wasn't that uncommon to see Soter used as an epithet - even Ptolemy I adopted it. Christianity co-opted the use of it, that's all - and even that wasn't unusual. The icon above the gates of Constantinople, torn down in the iconic wars, was an exact duplication of the image of the statue of Zeus at Olympia - except that it now represented Jesus instead of Zeus!Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I remembered I have a copy of my friend's published papers 'Interpreting Early Hellenistic Religion" by Petra Pakkanen. In it there are several references to Zeus Soter, and also Athena Soleira (there were sanctuaries for both in Pireaus) and Zeus Soter (Savior) was a deity of the Macedonians as well as Herakles and Athena. The Diisoterea honoring Zeus Soter was celebrated with cavalry exercises and was very popular.
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Veering a little OT

Post by yiannis »

If I recall Ptolemy was "awarded" the epithet "Soter" because he "saved" some city (Athens?) and was named as such by its citizens.Jesus was called "Soter" because he would save our souls.Anyway, my intention was to show that by reducing lesser deities importance and focusing on a couple of major ones, as was the case in 4th and 3rd century CE, was bringing people closer to the idea of just one God. On a different tone, can't we say that there's a resemblance between ancient Greek Gods and Christianity, if one replaces God with Zeus and the saints etc with the lesser gods? Just my thoughts...
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Yiannis,"On a different tone, can't we say that there's a resemblance between ancient Greek Gods and Christianity, if one replaces God with Zeus and the saints etc with the lesser gods? Just my thoughts..."I think you might be forcing it a little, there. Yes, to some extent there is a resemblance, but I wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that the idea of saints started in the Christian church in imitation of a polytheistic religion. It had been a practice in Judaeism for a long time to honour prophets with shrines (like a hero cult, I suppose), and the institution of saints grew out of this.I know you're not saying that the Christians *did* imitate the Greek religion (at least I don't think you are); but I feel we ought to be quite clear, because it would be wrong for anyone to get the idea that they did (in this matter, at least).CheersMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Marcus, of course I'm not saying (or even implying) that the Christians were imitating the Greek religion, there're foundamental differences between the two (although some celebrations derive from ancient Greek/Roman ones).I was simply noting some similarities that are obvious to the common eye.On a different topic, what is happening with the travel to Persia that you were planning? Been there yet?Cheers,
Yiannis
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Yiannis,Of course - I was just concerned that what you said might be misinterpreted! :-)Unfortunately, I've had to cancel my trip to Iran for this year. I was due to go in about 3 weeks' time. Hopefully I'll be doing the trip next year, around the same time ...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK