Stone's Q & A on 'Alexander' at UC-Berkeley

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

birdlover
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Stone's Q & A on 'Alexander' at UC-Berkeley

Post by birdlover »

Oliver Stone was at UC-Berkeley on March 14th. He did a Q & A about the film for "The College Presents" series. He spoke with UC-Berkeley dean and professor of classics, Ralph Hexter.If anyone is interested in what he had to say, you can see the webcast at this link:http://webcast.berkeley.edu/events/archive.htmlThe webcast is about 1 hour 19 minutes long. You must have Real Player to view it.Dara
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Stone's Q & A on 'Alexander' at UC-Berkeley

Post by beausefaless »

Thanks Dara,
The few questions that was accepted from the students really sucked. Maybe the students were fairly ignorant of Alexander's life or whoever chose the questions. Possibly time was a factor.
It was great to see the continued loyalty from Oliver to Alexander, it's obvious that will *never* die. I loved his thought on Alexanders' death though a *good* part of this forum do not agree.
Sounds like Oliver has done lots of extra editing for the DVD that will be release in a few mo.
I recommend this interview, thanks again!
Best regards,
Andrew
birdlover

Post by birdlover »

You are very welcome, Andrew. I am glad you enjoyed it. I think it is the most candid that Stone has been about the film. He is planning some interesting changes for the film. I have mixed feelings about it. I liked the original version and the changes seem a bit after the fact, but I am not against tightening up the story and making it a bit more coherent. I am glad he still has a real loyalty towards the project, too.
I am anxious to see what he does with the DVD. He now says that it will be out in July. Dara
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

In spite of the problems and devastating critiques on the film, I happened to enjoy it (3 times) and in particular felt the Oliver Stone had the same insights into Alexander as I have. I respect what he tried to do with such a massive story. Sure, there could have been improvements, but no matter what I'm sure there would be the nay-sayers and put-downs just the same. Looking forward to the DVD. Hope he doesn't change too much!
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

I found it interesting, and certainly he does seem to be very passionate about Alexander. Such a pity he couldnGÇÖt imprint it into the movie. He seemed to be extremely concerned about getting everything squeezed into 2 hours 40 minutes, what I didnGÇÖt like as I believe, as many around here, that at least a trilogy is need for such a complex personality as that of Alexander.However, I noticed that the interview opened my appetite for getting hold of the DVD, as the planned re-edition sounded as an exciting one.
BestAlejandroPS: why black suit and RED socks? I donGÇÖt know, but now I understand why the mess in Colin FarrelGÇÖs hair was never considered a problem by him! :)
rollsrite

Post by rollsrite »

COULD NOT GET INTO THE SITE. I GUESS I DON'T HAVE A REAL PLAYER,WHATEVER THAT IS. I JUST WANTED TO READ AND I'M SHUT OUT. POOR ME. I'VE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE BUT LOOK FORWARD TO THE RELEASE. I'M TRYING TO WAIT BUT...........PATIENCE IS NOT ALL THAT GREAT A VIRTUE. ROLLSRITE
birdlover

Post by birdlover »

Tina,I am sorry to hear that you couldn't see the webcast. Real Player is a media player that works a lot like Windows Media Player. The webcast is in a Real Player format, so you can't use another player to see it. If you want to download Real Player to see the webcast, you can do it at this link:http://www.real.com/It is free to download. I highly recommend it. It is a really informative Q & A with Stone.Dara