Eagles And Scorpions

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Kenny

Eagles And Scorpions

Post by Kenny »

Maybe im a Scorpion its better to be such with my feet on the groung where I can see whats going on and still have a sting in my tail.From time to time accasiosonally be an eagle to look above yet,,Were I an eagle too long with my head lost in the clouds Maybe id become confused and a little light headed and delirious as is common with Americans so high up with there own heads where the sun dont shine.If we like the movie thats no reason to become high and mighty and try belittle someone else,, Hail Marcus I gess were just miderate Brits.Kenny
rollsrite
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Eagles And Scorpions

Post by rollsrite »

hey there, reading all the info about the alex the great movie and happed to see your comments about americans being "light headed and delirious which is common with americans, so high up etc etc." please we are all educated human being sharing a planet. this is prejudice and unkind. and how many americans did you say you knew, personally, that is? " a soft word turns away much anger" tina rollsrite
Halil

Post by Halil »

Thanks, Tina. It is very unfair to tar all Americans with the same bush... I am glad that most of you really enjoyed the film, but as a fellow Brit, I have to say I was just a little surprised to hear it. Especially Marcus since St Heph was much in evidence ;-)Cheers
Halil
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Halil,I certainly had no objection to Hephaestion's presence, and almost omnipresence (since we've been talking religion) in the film; nor to the presentation of his relationship with Alexander.Of course, I thought Stone made him too nice :-), but I wouldn't ever deny his importance to the story.I thought Jared Let's performance was one of the best (for the most part); but I didn't find him particularly pretty, I have to say.All the best, Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Halil

Post by Halil »

From things you've said, I didn't think you'd object to Heph's presence or to the importance given to his relationship with Alexander. But I thought you might find his saintly good nature amusing - did you notice the scene where he gets punched and does not retalitate in any way? But, I will let it go since others have covered the movie's problems in depth elsewhere and if I got going, I wouldn't be able to stop. :-)Best regardsHalil
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Ha ha ha! Yes, I did notice him being punched and not reacting - and I nodded in approval, you'll be pleased to know.Well, you see, I'm so used to him being saintly, that I don't allow myself to get upset about it. At least *I* know the truth about Hephaestion. :-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hail Companions Hail MarcusMarcus I really expected you to delete my post As I growled at Americans or some of there Ttitudes,, Of course there are good even great Americans!And the Americans here show equal inteligence and nounce to all.I got a little rattled with the Eagles and Scorpions crack, Judgemental and high minded Arrogance,,, Not even arrogance just big headed.I apologise to Americans and Marcus,,, However in general my overall viewpoint on Americans is not too high and went off on one!Kenny
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Kenny, Actually, I was using a metaphor, as in astrology, I always read under the sign of scorpio, that the spiritually advanced are like eagles, rising to the heights, and that the base and vulgar are like the scorpion, stinging themselves as they sting others to bring them down. And as for "high and mighty" besides being a great movie starring John Wayne, and a great song, that is the greatest compliment you have ever given me. So thanks!
kenny

Post by kenny »

Assumption is by far dangerous and folly,, Jan I don't regard you as high and mighty,, Its a saying we have here of people that think they are and there own disilusionment that makes them think it.So you misunderstand it was no a compliment at all,, Be wiery of things that you think are compliments it will give false feelings of garandeur so I apologise if my flepent witt gave you the opinion of been high and mighty,,, As with most Americans its only you who thinks this.As an eagle stay away from the clouds too much thin air can make you quite delirious as its quite apparent.RegardsKenny the Scorpion,,, Cockroach if you like those littlr blighters survived the Ice Age.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Ahem, Jan, does your use of that metaphor mean then that those of us who did like the film (your original "eagles and scorpions" comment was addressed to someone who gave it a good review) are "base and vulgar" in your opinion?
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Kenny,No need to apologise to me - I don't think you've said anything that offended me! :-)But don't worry - I don't have the power to delete posts anyway ...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kenny

Post by kenny »

Linda HailI guess you got the same opinion as myself here, I would say we were a hybrid Scorpion and eagle we see from up high with feet firmly on the ground.Kenny