Nearchus & gastronomy

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jona
Hetairos (companion)

Nearchus & gastronomy

Post by jona »

I just saw the Stone movie for the second time, and it is true: the second time it is better.One detail I noticed is that Nearchus is nearly always shown eating. Does anyone know why? Is there a remark in some source unknown to me that he enjoyed a good meal? Or is it just an actor's gimmick?Jona
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: Nearchus & gastronomy

Post by ruthaki »

Ah, Jona, thanks. It gives me an idea of what new thing to focus on when watching the movie again. There are so many subtle details in that movie that you can't possibly take it all in the first time. I'm glad somebody besides me says they enjoyed it more the second time round.
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by jona »

Exactly my point. On first viewing, I had the idea that the persons remained flattish, that the special effects were bombastic, and that the dialogues were bad - all very true, but the second time, I could concentrate on the details and enjoyed it more.Jona
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Yes, and second time round I didn't mind the dialects or the places where the dialogue was weak. I focused on small details of sets and costumes and character portrayals. There were a few times when Farrell really caught the 'look' of Alexander, the intensity. I had also watched "Being Alexander" before seeing it the second time and because of that was more 'impressed' with his efforts to assume this very difficult role. (There are still a couple of the characters who's casting I didn't agree with but, that was a minor complaint.)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

That's quite a nice character trait, although I don't think there's anything that indicates any particular gastronomical leaning in Nearchus. In fact, the only thing that relates Nearchus with food, as far as I'm aware, is when Arrian describes the diet of the fish eaters in 'Indica'. Doesn't mention him eating anything, though ...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
rollsrite
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rollsrite »

actors always pick up a little quirk that helps them get into the character.this is what's happening with the food. the actor is finiseing..have you ever seen a "james dean" movie? he constanly moves to stay in the character. tina rollsrite