Boukephalos

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

stavros

Boukephalos

Post by stavros »

Prized above all other animals by Alexander! The horse would not allow another man to sit on him and when the king wished to mount, he would oh his own accord bend his knees to receive him, so it was thought that he was aware of his riders identity.this is some horse? i want one like him!!stavros
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Boukephalos

Post by yiannis »

Of course Stavro, most of what we know about this horse (as well as what you mentioned above) lies in the sphere of mythology!
Perhaps the only thing we know for sure is that it has died of old age after the battle of Hydaspes and a city was named after it. And of course that Alexander loved it!
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Greetings starvos,Only in your dreams! But seriously it would be easy to train a horse this particular skill and take it one step further by making the horse lye down from either side. This behavior is perfect for handicap individuals who care to ride alone.Regards, Andrew
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Hello Andrew, I asked you a question about horses and riding (at what age do you think Alexander started to ride?? etc) on another thread. I did get one very useful reply from someone else but the thread had disappeared by the time I got back to see if you had replied too. If you did, could you post your answer here for me again?? I am in a small dilemma about what age a Macedonian child (like Alexander, in fact is young son) would be capable of riding alone. This would be a child, like his father, who was introduced to horses practically as soon as he could walk. ruthaki