Did Alexander have bad days

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

iskander_32

Did Alexander have bad days

Post by iskander_32 »

Excuse me folks I just would like to ask if you think Alexander had bad days and how you think he dealt with themIm at a stage in my life where things just go from bad to worse, With losing a baby and a lot of other everyday stuff that maybe other people would handle very well,,, Life is such that its one thing after another,,, I lok for some strength in Alexander and wonder how maybe he would think and cope with such periods in his life.To share a tale with you,, Once I lost our daughter It was thaen I turned to Alexander in a spiritualistic way and my children wear pendants in a way christians would so that there may be some protection for the,,, Crazy I guess,,, Im not posting this message for pity I just wonder If Alexander had bad times< how he coped and what where did he find that kind of strength.Sorry for such a post.regardsKenny
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Did Alexander have bad days

Post by Nicator »

First off I'm really sorry for your loss. There is no replacing a child and coping with that has got to be difficult to say the least. We all have bad days, you're not alone so buck-up and look to the future as best you can. Alexander had many bad days. His worst moments had to be when he killed Cleitus and when Hephaestion died. His grief in both cases was immediate and prolonged. later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
iskander_32

Post by iskander_32 »

Cheers NickI know what you mean and understand,,, Im not after sympathy or anything just wondered where he got his strenght or whatevers needed to keep going.regards
Kenny
annamaude

Post by annamaude »

Of course Alexander had bad days, he was human just like you and me. He grieved many times during his life and in particular when he lost Haphaestion.You too have suffered a great loss and there is no way around the grief, you must go through it.There is nothing more difficult than losing a child. This I know from experience. You cannot change or control others, you can only change and control yourself. I like to think Alexander was the kind of person that was in control and in charge of himself. When he was having a bad day, he was proactive as opposed to reactive.I am sorry for your loss.
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by jona »

"Im not after sympathy or anything"But I guess that we all feel sorry for you and your relatives.As to Alexander, he lost his father and Hephaestion.Jona
xxx

Post by xxx »

More better days than bad and when he was really angry he went to his tent. It's when he didn't seclude himself in his anger (and make no mistake, Alexander certainly realized his temper was a weakness)that he got himself into trouble. Betis, Cleitus, and the Crucifixions at Tyre to name a few. But as to Tyre he got to see molten sand mixed with excrement burn his men and those wounds would have been untreatable at the time and would have lead to agonizing slow death. The crucifixions were payback for that. As someone put it to me, "There are things you don't do even in war and the sand was unforgivable" when I attempted to make a point Alexander started it. People don't always think rationally in times like that. And of course he had his tragedies, just a lot more than most men his age because of the kind of life he led. He put a lot of friends into the ground and he was responsible for it all. It was the kind of life that would have torn mere mortals apart, but he was of sturdier stuff than most...
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

You've had some very valid and good replies here, Kenny. All I can say is how very sad it is to have to go through a loss like yours. As for Alexander, I believe he was a spiritual man and prayed/sacrificed to his gods every day. In the solace of meditation and prayer (to whoever or whatever god you might pray to) there is comfort.
Be strong. ruthaki
chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by chris »

HiAlexander had many bad days. He was, I think, multi-layered, from spritual to brutal. I think it was Michael Woods who suggested that his increasingly heavy drinking was in some part to do with what he witnessed, and indeed, what he was responsible for. Human after all.
Molossos

Yeah actually

Post by Molossos »

He did have period, as all the homos in this forum keep presenting him as woman-like... :)
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Kenny, I don't know where you live but one of the best books ever written about the death of an infant is by Dale Evans, called Angel Unaware! It is simply beautiful and touching. I recommend that you read it.
Nax

Re: Yeah actually

Post by Nax »

Knock this c**p off and grow up. You're not only being stupid about homosexuals (deal with your personal insecurities in a healthier way) but insulting the women on this site, many that we call friend.