Achilles Achievements

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Achilles Achievements

Post by amyntoros »

"The beatles were influenced by little,,, Richard that doesnt mean Beatles fans should be reading or interested in Little Richard,,, Get my Point?"But you asked on this forum - "So what was it about Achilles Alexander wanted to emulate?" Now if you had the same interest in the Beatles and went to a Beatles forum and asked what it was about Little Richard's music that so influenced the Beatles, it is very likely they would suggest you listen to his music to find out for yourself.All the people on this forum can do is give you their own thoughts on this question, and as you can see, there is a great disparity of opinion. How do you decide which opinion to accept? It's similar to only reading movie reviews and not going to see the film. You may think you know about the movie, but all you really know is what someone else thinks about it. If you want to find out for yourself, you will have to see the movie. Same thing about Achilles and Alexander. You don't *have* to read the Iliad, but it is the only way to truly form your own opinion.Best regards,Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

KennyWhat you decide to read or not read is entirely up to you - you've obviously got your own view of Alexander that you don't want to sully by reading the sources; fair enough but don't criticise those that take a different view.Susan
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Well Smitty, that would be a provocative thought. Meaning the part that the ancient Greek/Roman writers reported an imaginary fascination of Alexander about Achilles only to portray him as a Greek. If proven it would surely be sensational in history conventions :-)Back to Iliad, it's a book that's deeply philosophical. Read between the lines and ones sees the tragedy and moral issues that tantalize our lives even today spring out of its verses.
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by jona »

"Alexander's admiration for it was so profound, it must have been a strong influence upon him and his character."This is what Lane Fox argues, and -in his footsteps- Michael Wood. "It is through the poems of Homer that Alexander comes alive." Yet I am still unconvinced that books can influence a character. Literature may help us form our opinions, gives beauty (or something like it) to our life but does not influence our character.And talking about a literature, it is a disgrace that the Booker Price was not given to David Mitchell. (I know this has nothing to do with Alexander but my indignation is too strong.)Jona
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

'that the ancient Greek/Roman writers reported an imaginary fascination of Alexander about Achilles only to portray him as a Greek. If proven it would surely be sensational in history conventions'.It wouldn't be the first time Yiannis for such writers to adapt themes to please an audience. Never let History interfere with a good story!, would seem apparent even today,. just have to look at most of the conventional historians of today pumping out the same ol' same ol'. Never mind, debate and alternative belief makes for a healthy education in my opinion.cheers!
rollsrite
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rollsrite »

have been reading all the comments and have decided to read the iliad. what better reccomendation than alexander loved it and treasured it. another problem i tried to get the lost tomb of alexander by andrew chugg by logging onto http://www.oxbowbookks.com and keep getting error, error... any suggestions? help! thanks for the tip about the iliad, it's something i should have done already and can't think of how i missed it.