New Book

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

New Book

Post by chris »

Reviewed favourably in the UK Sunday Telegraph:Alexander the Great:The Hunt for a New PastRegards,Chris
chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: New Book

Post by chris »

Sorry, author is Paul Carteledge.Chris
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by jona »

We've discussed this book in the first days of August. Here's a link to another review:http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/his ... 0.htmlJona
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I'm currently about half way through the book.Forget what the review in the Guardian said - it's very good, very even handed, and very nicely written. Cartledge's source analysis is perceptive, despite the speed with which he goes through it; and he certainly puts forward a few interesting ideas which, while they might not necessarily be 'new', are at least plainly set out and well argued.I'd certainly recommend it - I'll write a review for the Books section when I've finished it, in the next few days. (I've just finished another new book, by Nigel Cawthorne, for which I've dashed off a review - a reasonable 'starter' book, a bit too reliant on the vulgate and on Peter Green, but surprisingly good.)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK