Steven Pressfield's website

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

xxx

Steven Pressfield's website

Post by xxx »

Another excerpt from his book is up - the opening chapter. It's about as bad as the first excerpt that's been up for awhile. Not the man to attempt to do Alexander first person that's for sure. Also an article he did for Military magazine and it also informs us he will be on the History Channel in July about Gaugamela. http://www.stevenpressfield.com
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Steven Pressfield's website

Post by karen »

Borrrrring...Okay, maybe I'm biased, hoping to one day be seen as the person who *could* do Alexander in first person.But still, a good enough piece of writing will not make my eyes glaze over. He's giving us Alexander the stone statue, stiff and impervious, not Alexander the human being.A person who never has doubts? There's no such thing, except those who belong in rubber rooms.Love & peace,
Karen
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Did I read right? Is he using current toponyms? (Afghanistan!Oh-the horror!)I have a hunch that the book will be good as long as you forget it's a FIRST person account of ATG. Although i like Steven Pressfield, and loved Gates of Fire (Tides and Amazons much less), I find his attempt at a first-person account of Alexander to be too ambitious-maybe arrogant even.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

And BTW, is there any historical fact to any of the letters he makes Itanes read?
kate
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by kate »

This extract is almost as dull as the first one! His Alexander sounds wooden and comes across as a rather vain man, not how I imagine Alexander at all. A pity really as I thought Pressfield managed to capture the spirit of the Spartans in "Gates of Fire".Cheers,Kate
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks for such an interesting website. I enjoyed every bit of it, even though the excerpt that I read is in the India campaign. Friend or foe caught my eye. I read every novel that is about ATG with a grain of salt, and I like to know the author's background. At least Pressfield is not stingy in that as he tells much about himself.I am not particularly critical of anyone who takes on the task of presenting Alexander. I know that people love to get into each other's minds at times, and it is an impossible task to do well; but in this case, I enjoyed reading Steven's mind today. I really look forward to each and every author's attempts on this most difficult character's life and thoughts. As he believed himself to be born of God, only someone who thinks as God will ever be able to understand Alexander.It is fun for me to realize that Ian Worthington has proved a case for what God is. God is able to do things that man cannot, according to Worthington's definition, which substantiates that Alexander must have been god to do what he had done. Who will ever be able to get into his mind at all without realizing that much at least.Thanks again. I like Steven Pressfield a lot.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I have picked up some of Pressfield's novels to read now that I have learned of his upcoming novel on Alexander. I just finished reading The Legend of Baggy Vance, a really interesting novel about the game of golf and the game of life. He alludes to the Greeks in this book so that one recognizes that Pressfield is the author of this strange tale.It is unique! should be read before the others, and will give an insight to his interests. I really recommend this book, as it is very well written and inspirational.