Stasander took Bactria after the death of Peithon(Media)?

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

LeGrandAriel

Stasander took Bactria after the death of Peithon(Media)?

Post by LeGrandAriel »

From Jona Lendering's website:
From 316 on, the satrapy was ruled by Stasander, who was already satrap of Bactria, and must have seized Aria and Margiana too (which were situated between Parthia and his own satrapy). Between 308 and 303, these countries recognized the sovereignty of Seleucus I Nicator, former friend of Alexander, satrap of Babylonia and founder of the Seleucid empire. He and his descendants appointed the satraps of Parthia for more than sixty years.

Any original sources?
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Stasander took Bactria after the death of Peithon(Media)

Post by Paralus »

If you are looking for literary sources on the Diadochoi then the main two would be Diodorus and Plutarch. Plutarch is far more interested in anecdote such as this about Demetrius (19.5):
...learning that his son was sick, Antigonus was going to see him, and met a certain beauty at his door; he went in, however, sat down by his son, and felt his pulse. "The fever has left me now," said Demetrius. "No doubt, my boy," said Antigonus, "I met it just now at the door as it was going away."

All very amusing and illuminating in their way but matters such as the battle of Gaza are passed over with a mere mention. Gabiene is not even noted.

The most detailed narrative source is Diodorus 18-20. This covers matters down to Ipsus. Whilst Diodorus has his failings (a fascination with fortune and its changes being one), he at least preserves many details that would bore the socks off Plutarch (distribution of satrapies etc).

Pithon Crateua was not ever the satrap of Bactriane. He had, though, attempted to appoint himself (by force)ruler of the upper satrapies (Diodorus seems to indicate that he might have been made "strategos" over these satrapies). This war (of the satraps) is poorly attested to and really only survives in allusion in Diodorus. We know he was defeated by the satrapal coalition in 317 led by Peucestas when trouble erupted over Parthyaea. These forces then joined Euemenes for his war against Antigonus. In these forces it is attested that the Satrap of Aria and Drangine, Stasander, "brought also the troops from Bactriane". Stasanor, given the troubles in the "upper satrapies", almost certainly had other matters to attend to and so had Stasander take his contingent (which can't have been large given the combined total of 1,500 infantry and 1,000 horse).
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu