Which Nicanor is the one defeated by Clitus in naval fight?

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

LeGrandAriel

Which Nicanor is the one defeated by Clitus in naval fight?

Post by LeGrandAriel »

I thought it's the Cappadocian satrap,later satrap of Media,killed by Seleucus after his return to Babylon.

The wikipedia is picked up from "Smith, William's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology" which with hordes of errors and I'm not going to trust.I need your ideas.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Which Nicanor is the one defeated by Clitus in naval fig

Post by marcus »

LeGrandAriel wrote:I thought it's the Cappadocian satrap,later satrap of Media,killed by Seleucus after his return to Babylon.
Hi "LeGrandAriel",

I'm not sure I can help you with this myself, but there will be Pothosians whom I am sure will be all to capable of clearing that one up for you. Paralus? Agesilaos?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Well, I'm certainly no expert on this period, but, as no one else has come forward, I took a look at Heckel's Who's Who. He is in agreement with Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology that it's the Nicanor who served under Cassander. The Dictionary page with this particular Nicanor can be found here.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote:I took a look at Heckel's Who's Who. He is in agreement with Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology that it's the Nicanor who served under Cassander.
It is most definitely Cassander's garrison commander of Munychia.
Diodorus 18.72.3-4:
After Cleitus had sailed to the Hellespont, had won the allegiance of the cities of the Propontis, and had received the army of Arrhidaeus, Nicanor, the commander of Munychia, reached that region, Cassander having sent him with his entire fleet. Nicanor had also taken over the ships of Antigonus so that he had in all more than a hundred. A naval battle took place not far from Byzantium in which Cleitus was victorious, sinking seventeen ships of the enemy and capturing not less than forty together with their crews, but the rest escaped to the harbour of Chalcedon.
LeGrandAriel wrote:I thought it's the Cappadocian satrap,later satrap of Media,killed by Seleucus after his return to Babylon.
This is the person appointed satrap of Cappadocia at Triparadeisos in 320. He seems never to have taken the position as Eumenes' activity against Antigonus prevented it and Nicanor remained with the One-Eyed. He appears at Gabiene where the Argyraspids hand over their generals to him. Afterwards he is found in the position of strategos of the "upper satrapies" (Diod.19.92.1-5 & 100.3). He must have replaced Hipposratus whom Antigonus placed in that position after Gabiene in 316.

My head and typing fingers are currently buried in the third Diadoch war. If there is anything more vexed than the chronology of this period it has to be the comings and goings of a chorus line of Philips, Nicanors, Ptolemys, Polemys, Alexanders....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
LeGrandAriel

Post by LeGrandAriel »

Paralus wrote:
amyntoros wrote:I took a look at Heckel's Who's Who. He is in agreement with Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology that it's the Nicanor who served under Cassander.
Diodorus 18.72.3-4:
After Cleitus had sailed to the Hellespont, had won the allegiance of the cities of the Propontis, and had received the army of Arrhidaeus, Nicanor, the commander of Munychia, reached that region, Cassander having sent him with his entire fleet. Nicanor had also taken over the ships of Antigonus so that he had in all more than a hundred. A naval battle took place not far from Byzantium in which Cleitus was victorious, sinking seventeen ships of the enemy and capturing not less than forty together with their crews, but the rest escaped to the harbour of Chalcedon.
This is the person appointed satrap of Cappadocia at Triparadeisos in 320. He seems never to have taken the position as Eumenes' activity against Antigonus prevented it and Nicanor remained with the One-Eyed. He appears at Gabiene where the Argyraspids hand over their generals to him. Afterwards he is found in the position of strategos of the "upper satrapies" (Diod.19.92.1-5 & 100.3). He must have replaced Hipposratus whom Antigonus placed in that position after Gabiene in 316.

My head and typing fingers are currently buried in the third Diadoch war. If there is anything more vexed than the chronology of this period it has to be the comings and goings of a chorus line of Philips, Nicanors, Ptolemys, Polemys, Alexanders....
So in your opinion it is the general of Antigonus who later killed by Seleucus not the Cassander's garrison leader who is defeated by Clitus?
LeGrandAriel

Post by LeGrandAriel »

Paralus wrote:
Diodorus 18.72.3-4:

Can you offer the source/reference to approve your opinion(Which I guessed in the main thread)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

For some reason I received an email regarding a post to this thread. Clearly it's been deleted as there's nothing here since November last year. In any case, whilst I'm here...
Paralus wrote:This is the person appointed satrap of Cappadocia at Triparadeisos in 320. He seems never to have taken the position as Eumenes' activity against Antigonus prevented it and Nicanor remained with the One-Eyed. He appears at Gabiene where the Argyraspids hand over their generals to him. Afterwards he is found in the position of strategos of the "upper satrapies" (Diod.19.92.1-5 & 100.3). He must have replaced Hipposratus whom Antigonus placed in that position after Gabiene in 316.
Can you offer the source/reference to approve your opinion(Which I guessed in the main thread)
The two Nicanors are quite separate. As I said, he that went to the Hellespont is in the service of Cassander. Having taken part in the defeat of Cleitus he returned to Athens where he'd been Cassander's garrison commander. He cannot possibly have been that Nicanor in Antigonus' service who was defeated by Seleucus in 311 as Cassander had him assassinated on his return to Athens.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
abm
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by abm »

Heckel has also discussed this problem in an article that can be downloaded at http://grbs.library.duke.edu/issue/view/161.