For the Hellenistic-philes

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

For the Hellenistic-philes

Post by marcus »

Just caught this news of a "Seleucid Study Day" on our friends at RogueClassicism. What a shame I won't be able to go! :(

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: For the Hellenistic-philes

Post by Paralus »

Couldn't have waited a week or two could they? Oh well, can't be everywhere.

There's a few I'd love to get hold of: Seleucid Dunasteia, Royal Land and Cities; Seleucus versus Antigonus; The Syrian War: a Rerun of the Persian Wars?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:Couldn't have waited a week or two could they? Oh well, can't be everywhere.

There's a few I'd love to get hold of: Seleucid Dunasteia, Royal Land and Cities; Seleucus versus Antigonus; The Syrian War: a Rerun of the Persian Wars?
I know - irritating, isn't it? If they'd left it a couple of weeks you could have popped down from Glasgow to Exeter and filled your boots!

Are you going to stop off in Nottingham, by the way?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:Are you going to stop off in Nottingham, by the way?

ATB
Sadly, no. So many Inns and so little time. We're driving from Glasgow to Vindolanda on the Wall and then to the Lake District for the Eagle and Child and real ale. From there I need to put in a long day to Dunster as a mate has us set for a couple of nights in Cornwall. Was going to train it but it worked out the same time-wise and ditched Vindolanda. When in Britain do as the Romans did... man a wall (sent the proposed "pub drive" via Google maps).

A pity. The wine tour sounded good. Much not getting done on this short trip - the trip over the ditch to see St Quentin and Mouquet Farm where the grandfather earned those medals. Next time (I hope).
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:
marcus wrote:Are you going to stop off in Nottingham, by the way?

ATB
Sadly, no. So many Inns and so little time. We're driving from Glasgow to Vindolanda on the Wall and then to the Lake District for the Eagle and Child and real ale. From there I need to put in a long day to Dunster as a mate has us set for a couple of nights in Cornwall. Was going to train it but it worked out the same time-wise and ditched Vindolanda. When in Britain do as the Romans did... man a wall (sent the proposed "pub drive" via Google maps).

A pity. The wine tour sounded good. Much not getting done on this short trip - the trip over the ditch to see St Quentin and Mouquet Farm where the grandfather earned those medals. Next time (I hope).
That is a shame. Still, Dunster is well worth it - see my email on that!

I will be at Gallipoli in about three weeks - is there anything you'd like me to look out for when I'm there?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK