Tomb of Alexander IV

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Tomb of Alexander IV

Post by marcus »

Dear all,

One of my favourite exhibits at the "Heracles to Alexander" exhibition at the Ashmolean was this intriguing ornament from what the exhibition stated was the tomb of Alexander IV.
From tomb of Alexander IV.JPG
From tomb of Alexander IV.JPG (91.2 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
Now, to me it looks as though the figure is wearing distinctively barbarian clothing. The tunic is not Greek, and it looks to me as if he is wearing a hat of some kind. And there is possibly a lock of plaited hair hanging over his right shoulder.

I wonder whether this item is part of what has led to the identification of the tomb as that of Alexander IV?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Tomb of Alexander IV

Post by Alexias »

Yes, it very definitely has a Persian look to it, especially those sleeves. It might be the sort of thing you would expect in a 'foreigner's' tomb, unless of course it was something someone imported or brought back as loot. Bearing in mind that this is only about 4 inches across, the workmanship is incredible, and something only a king or someone very close to being a king would be able to afford as decoration on a footstool. I wonder if it is a Persian god or prophet? There would seem to be something religious about the outstretched arms.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Alexias wrote:Yes, it very definitely has a Persian look to it, especially those sleeves. It might be the sort of thing you would expect in a 'foreigner's' tomb, unless of course it was something someone imported or brought back as loot. Bearing in mind that this is only about 4 inches across, the workmanship is incredible, and something only a king or someone very close to being a king would be able to afford as decoration on a footstool. I wonder if it is a Persian god or prophet? There would seem to be something religious about the outstretched arms.
Seems to be quite a "Greek" beard, though.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

marcus said

Dear all,

One of my favourite exhibits at the "Heracles to Alexander" exhibition at the Ashmolean was this intriguing ornament from what the exhibition stated was the tomb of Alexander IV.

From tomb of Alexander IV.JPG (91.2 KiB) Viewed 39 times

Now, to me it looks as though the figure is wearing distinctively barbarian clothing. The tunic is not Greek, and it looks to me as if he is wearing a hat of some kind. And there is possibly a lock of plaited hair hanging over his right shoulder.

I wonder whether this item is part of what has led to the identification of the tomb as that of Alexander IV?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all

Concerning the enlarged figure in the photo I would like to state the following:

It's a demonic figure, possibly the Frigian god Savazios who is connected to Dionisus. One of the characteristic animals that accompanied the god in questin is the snake. This Frigian god became known in Greece from the 5th century BC. From what I can deduce this is the god's epiphany (which explains the posture of his hands). The figure is coming out from a plant that has not probably survived the ages (in Macedon we have female figures emerging from plants- eg mosaics of palace)

I have learned that a booklet (Oxford University edition) of the "From Heracles to Alexander" exhibition is being distributed from Amazon.com where that particular artifact is explained as well as a Capon edition booklet from the archaeologist mrs Kotaridi that will included these artifacts will also be published soon.

Best wishes to all!
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

There is a small tomb near that alleged to be Philip's at the Royal Tombs, Veria. It is the tomb of the prince. I asked an achaeologist while i was visiting there doing research, if they believe it was Alexander IV's tomb, and he said yes, because it was the tomb of a royal youth who had died at the approx. age Alexander IV did.
I don't recally seeing any such sculpture on it but if it was there, and looks Persian, remember that the boy was born in Babylon and his mother was Soghdian, and the boy was considered part Persian which is one reason the Macedonians didn't want to accept him as future king.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

ruthaki wrote:I don't recally seeing any such sculpture on it but if it was there, and looks Persian, remember that the boy was born in Babylon and his mother was Soghdian, and the boy was considered part Persian which is one reason the Macedonians didn't want to accept him as future king.
Many of the items at the Oxford exhibition were being shown for the first time anywhere, so perhaps this was one that hadn't been shown before. But indeed, I did wonder whether the barbarian elements were what had led to the identification of the tomb as being that of Alexander IV.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
artemisia
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by artemisia »

This item was on exhibition in the Royal Tombs Museum, where I have seen it, and indeed it's the Phrygian god of Fertility. You can see the rest of the Phrygian headdress. Alexander is wearing a longslaved chiton in the mosaik, in northern Greece the winter is very cold and you surely need to dress well - in addition, the Phrygians lived on mount Vermion (Veria / Naoussa) before they were drown out by the Makedonians and settled in Asia Minor.
I haven't spotted any item in the "Prince tomb" which looks Persian or gives a clue that it's the tomb of a king of Asia. In my opinion, the boy could be a son of Philip, maybe Karanos? And if it's Alexander IV, what about Roxane's bones? You should expect them together, as Philip with his wife.