The Third Diodachi wars

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

The Third Diodachi wars

Post by ruthaki »

Can anyone tell me if when Ptolemy's fleet took over the ports along the coast was there a battle at each port or did the cities just surrender? I'm thinking specifically of Ephesus. Need to know some details for the last part of my novel. Thanks in advance.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: The Third Diodachi wars

Post by Paralus »

You really need to read Diodorus 18, 19 and 20.

I cannot recall Ptolemy being in possession of Ephesus at the time of the Third Diadoch war. If memory serves Antigonus took Ephesus (with inside help) in the process of expelling Cleitus (The White) from Lydia and held it until Cassander’s general, Prepelaos, took it in the campaign leading to Ipsos in 302.

Ptolemy’s major interest – fixation might be better – was Coele-Syria. This he took in the shadows of Triparadeisos (Diod 18.42.1-2 also Appian, Sy.52 ):
As for Egypt, Ptolemy, after he had unexpectedly rid himself of Perdiccas and the royal forces, was holding that land as if it were a prize of war. Seeing that Phoenicia and Coelê Syria, as it was called, were conveniently situated for an offensive against Egypt, he set about in earnest to become master of those regions. Accordingly he dispatched an adequate army with Nicanor as general, a man selected from among his friends. The latter marched into Syria, took the satrap Laomedon captive, and subdued the whole land. After he had likewise secured the allegiance of the cities of Phoenicia and placed garrisons in them, he returned to Egypt, having made a short and effective campaign.
You might read “subdued” as you wish. Evidently some will have submitted and others not. The fact that he had garrisons in need of expulsion later would indicate compliance under some sufferance. Indeed, Antigonus’s first action having been declared “king of Asia” and expelling Seleucus (in the spring of 316), was to invest Syria and expel Ptolemy’s garrisons.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks Paralus. I am thinking of 315/314 after Ptolemy put Seleukos in charge of his navy and they took the coastal ports while Antigonos was still in Babylonia/Syria (before the GAza wars)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Listen very close, for I will say this only once….

If, my dear, you publish this novel and if it becomes a best seller, I will be knocking on your website for royalty splits. I will at least claim that which a researcher should be due under the law!

Seleucus was expelled in summer 316 and took up residence with Ptolemy. Antigonus returned to the west by November 316. Seleucus, as Ptolemy’s “co-commander”, commenced operations against Antigonid interests in the eastern Aegean in the following spring (Diod.19.58.5-6):
While Antigonus was busy with these matters and after he had established his camp near the sea, Seleucus arrived from Egypt with a hundred ships, which were royally equipped and which sailed excellently. As he sailed contemptuously along past the very camp, men from the allied cities and all who were co-operating with Antigonus were downhearted; for it was very clear that, since the enemy dominated the sea, they would plunder the lands of those who aided their opponents out of friendship for Antigonus.
You might note that he is not doing much other than giving a great sight. His main impact was the bringing over – to Ptolemy – of almost all of Cyprus. Although active in the Aegean just after this, he could not stop Antigonus’s occupation of Caria.

I cannot recall Ptolemy (or Seleucus) occupying Ionia. That Ptolemy occupied Phoenician cities is quite correct. The events after Cyprus winfd down to the confrontation at Gaza – on the Egyptian border. Although Ptolemy wins here his general is later defeated and Ptolemy evacuates Coele-Syria (with its booty) and retires to Egypt rather than face Antigonus’s full army. Antigonus and the others sort the “Peace of the Dynasts” and marches into Babylonia after Seleucus.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

vERY FUNNY,
But I'm still as confused as ever. For I gathered from all my research notes and timelines from the internet etc that Ptolemy's navy (with Seleukos at the command) took all the ports along the Mediterranean while Antigonos was away in Babylonia.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Like paralus I don't recall Ptolemy I ever taking Ephesus; Ptolemy II Mikros (Philadelphos) did later but until 301, when it fell to Lysimachos it remained Antigonid, reverting to Demetrius even during his so-called thalassocracy. Any cities said to have been taken in 315 must be Phoenician ones.
Last edited by agesilaos on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

ruthaki wrote:vERY FUNNY,
But I'm still as confused as ever. For I gathered from all my research notes and timelines from the internet etc that Ptolemy's navy (with Seleukos at the command) took all the ports along the Mediterranean while Antigonos was away in Babylonia.
Righto then, 10% of whatever you make on publication eh? Let's haggle.

You are now into a thoroughly different, not to say difficult, scenario. Short potted version:

Eumenes defeats Antigonus in the field at Gabiene January 316 but loses baggage and is traded for baggage. WWII comes to an end. Antigonus, having murdered Peithon al la Parmenion, enters Persis in spring 316 and is proclaimed “king of Asia”. Seleucus asked to account for his administration (Antigonus never forgets a precedent, see Peithon) and, noting the untimely end of Peithon scarpers to Ptolemy (summer 316). Antigonus settles matters to his liking and returns west with the deposed Peucestas (who has noted the other goings-on and decides service is better than death) by November 316.

He returns to a rather disingenuous ultimatum from Ptolemy, Lysimachus and Cassander to share out the spoils of war they have singularly not partaken in. WWIII is afoot. In the spring of 315 Antigonus moves south to invest Syria and points south. He besieges Tyre (it's a family thing). At this time Seleucus, beautifully equipped by Ptolemy, sails past Antigonus’s camp at Tyre and dances on deck to Greek music crying out that Antigonus "can't sail, can't row!" (he is building a navy as Ptolemy has nicked the Phoenician ships and crews)

Although bringing almost all of Cyprus over to Ptolemy Seleucus paddles about the eastern Aegean causing a medium level ruckus. At no stage does he take Ephesus. In the summer of 314 Cassander sends forces to Caria under his obligation to the alliance. These are driven out in the winter of 314/13.

Ptolemy decides that dancing on decks, no matter how good the music, won’t cut it. He attacks the Cilcian coast and captures Malus (and others one supposes) so as to sell off the population to please his men (Diod.19.79.6-7):
but he himself with his army, sailing toward Upper Syria, as it is called, captured and sacked Poseidium and Potami Caron. Sailing without delay to Cilicia, he took Malus and sold as booty those who were captured there. He also plundered the neighbouring territory and, after sating his army with spoil, sailed back to Cyprus. His playing up to the soldiers in this way was designed to evoke enthusiasm in face of the encounters that were approaching.
Seleucus, we imagine, was dancing on deck somewhere in the Aegean near to Lemnos and Cos. All this while Antigonus, far from being away in the east, has booted Cassander from Caria and brought his erstwhile ally, Asander, to heel. From here we work down to Gaza where Demetrius, following Eumenes’ lead at Gabiene, stacks his left wing. You’d have thought that Phillipus and Peucestas - they were there but you know these young guns never listen - will have told him that it wouldn’t work: the other side were too clever by half and had read Hieronymus.

Anyhow (God this St Henri Shiraz is good), back to the difficult bit. Antigonus was away in the east – again – pursuing that dream that Billows refuses to ascribe to him (epmire). Problem is that isn’t until 310-308 when he engaged heavily with Seleucus who, funnily enough, was also east. The nature of this war and its dating atract some controversy (see Wheatley: Antigonus Monophthalmus in Babylonia, 310-308 B. C. Journal of Near Eastern Studies, Vol. 61, No. 1 (Jan., 2002), pp. 39-47)

Ok then, what about 13% - considering services previously rendered here and elsewhere??!!
Paralus

Academia.edu
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Paralus, you are amazing and I will even invite you to the wrap party. The champagne (from a good winery in Calif.) has been chilling since June and the bottle of expensive red Greek wine waits patiently on the wine rack. I also have a brand new set of ouzo glasses and a dispenser that I got for Mother's day last year from my son that I am saving to christen at said event. (I already drank the ouzo. Will buy a new bottle especially for the occasion.) **gods I'll be glad to get this novel finished!!!

Your explanation makes the whole mess a lot clearer (really!) Being picky about details I didn't want to make a stupid tactical error. So the mistake can easily be fixed which I will do tomorrow as today I ended up eating ceviche and drinking lots of very good white wine with a Peruvian writer friend.

By the way, I wondered exactly where Peukestas was during all this conniving by the other Successors so thanks for clearing that mystery up for me too. (I thought he'd just gone off somewhere sulking because he had lost Persis to Antigonos.)