The Wars of the Successors, late 318 to early 317

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

The Wars of the Successors, late 318 to early 317

Post by ruthaki »

I've forgotten where I found the time-lines and I need to know where the other Successors besides Ptolemy, Kassandros, Lycimachos and Antigonos stood during this time. I believe Peithon was revolting and there were problems in Seleucos' satrapy. Would someone care to enlighten me on these details. Thanks in advance.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I don't know that Pithon was revolting per se. It would appear that only Monmophthalmos found him so and so organised his "judicial" execution.

How much detail do you want?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

The wars of the Successors

Post by ruthaki »

I knew about Peithon's eventual execution. I wasn't sure if he was revolting against Antigonos or ???? I don't need a lot of detail, just wanted to clarify what the unrest and revolts were all about. I believe Seleukos later on went to Ptolemy in Egypt?
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Yes, Seleucus scarpered to Egypt after Antigonus had done with both Eumenes and Pithon.

Having lured the hugely credulous Pithon to his crony court - on the basis of promotion and an army to lead - and murdered him, Antigonus moved into Persis and demanded an accounting of Selecus' administration. Seeing the writing, in his own blood, on the wall, Selecus carried himself off to Egypt (316/15).

Thus the bell rang for round three. Antigonus at this time could muster an army of some 70,000 men. He was not to be confronted on one's own.

He was, though, exceptionally lucky to have prevailed over Eumenes during 318-316.

I'm at the office with an industrial agreement to negotiate. I shall cobble together a timeline of sorts for you later this afternoon. I assume something covering the events post Triparapdaesus to Eumenes tragic demise?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Successors wars

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks so much for your help so far. I have loads of notes and research material but find it mind-boggling. Your explanations are much appreciated.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Hi Ruthaki.

"Revolt" is possibly the wrong word. The events of 318-16 are a direct consequence of the "settlement" at Triparadaesus and the empowering of the towering ambition of Monopthalmus. Polyperchon who - for some reason known only to himself - resurrected the awfully frightening Olympias, needed Antigonus distracted in Asia. Thus we have the second Diadoch war.

Give a little time and I'll post a potted descrition of the events.
Paralus

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Not exactly the best narrative but here goes….

The result of Triparadeisus is that Antipater, surviving the anger and revolt of the Argyraspids who wanted their Alexander-promised monetary gifts, marches them off with the “treasures” – most likely to Susa with their commander and satrap Antigenes.

Antigonus is then given command of an army and, in league with the septuagenarian Antipater, sets off to clean out the remaining army groups of the “Perdikan faction”: Eumenes, Arrhidaeus, Attalus and Alcetas.

Clietus the White is removed from the table at Byzantium in 319/18. Alcetas was disposed of in Pisidia after being betrayed by the “elders”. Antigonus, typically, abused his body for three days and left it unburied.

Eumenes, in 319/8, had been besieged in Nora and escaped with some 2,500 men to Cappadocia where Antigonus thought him little more than a nuisance value.

By this time Antipater had departed and left the pedestrian Polyperchon as regent and Antigonus as strategos of Asia. Cassander, of course, had an entirely different view and pursued it. Ptolemy took control of Syria. Needing to keep the juggernaut that was Antigonus busy in Asia, Polyperchon – on behalf of the kings – appoints Eumenes as Royal general of the Argaed house with instructions to avail himself of the treasury and enrol forces. Significantly, Antigenes and the Argyraspids are commanded to meet Eumenes in Cilicia and submit to his authority. This they do in 318 and the game is afoot.

Whilst Eumenes is busily recruiting and doling out the Cyinda funds, Ptolemy, alarmed at the turn of events, sails to Cilicia and sends to the Argyraspids asking that they defy this Greek from Cardia and refuse to serve. Teutamos - on a foretaste of what was to come - argues for betrayal but is countered by Antigenes and the Argyraspids remain with the Royal house.

Antigonus marches south to deal with the situation and Eumenes, with some 15,000 troops including the 3,000 Argyraspids, removes himself eastwards to the satrapy of Antigenes, via Babylonia where he over winters in 318/17. At this time, urged by Antigonus, Seleucus and Peithon attempt to turn the Argyraspids from Eumenes’ service. They too are rebuffed. Eumenes retires into Persis and links with its satrap Peucestas who, along with Stassander, Sibyrtius (replaced, on Eumnenes' orders, by Tlepolemus) and Eudamus are at the head of a Satrapal Alliance of the “upper satrapies”. Together Eumenes forces now number some 38.000 foot and 6,000 horse.

In two great, seminal battles – Paraetecene (Nov. 317) and Gabiene (Jan 316) – Antigonus and Eumenes bring to a conclusion the second Diadoch war. At Paraetecene Eumenes is victorious although Antigonus, refusing to retire, camps with the dead and claims a hollow victory. His infantry had been driven from the field with serious losses. At Gabiene, the fractious satraps break with Eumenes as Peucestas retires from the field with some 1,500 cavalry (the satrapal elite) at the very time that Antigonus leads his charge at Eumenes, stationed with Peucestas, on the left. Again Eumenes’ phalanx is victorious as the Argyraspids destroy the Antigonid phalanx occasioning over 5.000 deaths. It is immediately prior to this battle that the Argyraspid commander, Antigenes, sends a horseman out to the Macedonians in the Antigonid phalanx yelling out: “Wicked men! You are sinning against your fathers you degenerates; the men who conquered the world with Philip and Alexander”.

The betrayal of Eumenes by Peucestas leads to the phalanx leaving the field in a square and surrendering victory to Antigonus. Teutamos, co-commander of the Argyraspids, does a deal with Antigonus by handing over Eumenes and other commanders to Antigonus in exchange for the Argyraspids’ baggage and families. Antigonus spends his payment: Eumenes is killed along with Eudamus; Antigenes, the Argyraspid commander and satrap of Sousiana, is burned alive in a pit and Peucestas, whose betrayal of Eumenes saved his life, is removed from his satrapy.

Peithon, important to Antigonus’ campaign victories, is considered a threat and is murdered on jumped up charges after being convicted by a kangaroo court. Seleucus, who supplied troops for these battles, is adjudged to be more than a little popular with the troops and a rival. He is called to account by Antigonus over his management of Babylonia. Nowhere near as credulous as Peithon, he scarpers to Egypt. Sibyrtius is given 1,000 of the Argyraspids and confirmed in his satrapy as was Tlepolemus.

A total of some 75,000 plus men from all over Persis and the “upper satrapies” and the western areas of Asia minor had fought in these battles. Battles that decided the direction of the “Empire”. It is, I think, eloquent commentary on the incontinent figures of 500,000 Persians at Gaugamela.

Seleucus, Ptolemy, Lysimachus and Cassander now had Antigonus and an “army of Asia” of over 70,000 to occupy them. Bring on the sequel.
Paralus

Academia.edu