Cassander's marriage to Thessalonica

Discuss the wars of Alexander's successors

Moderator: pothos moderators

Amber

Cassander's marriage to Thessalonica

Post by Amber »

Hey there, I was just wondering if anyone knows when Cassander married Alexander's sister, Thessalonica, or even if it was before or after Alexander died. Also, if anyone has information on their relationship (good/bad ) and if they had good relations before they married.Thanks a lot!
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: Cassander's marriage to Thessalonica

Post by ruthaki »

Yes I have quite a bit of info on this which I will post for you. I'm writing about this marriage which happened in about 317 and was designed to help Kassandros get more control over the dynasty. It all ended up badly for Thessaloniki but of all the women involved in Alexander's story she was the one who had the city named for her and so her name is etched in history.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Yes I have quite a bit of info on this which I will post for you. I'm writing about this marriage which happened in about 317 and was designed to help Kassandros get more control over the dynasty. It all ended up badly for Thessaloniki but of all the women involved in Alexander's story she was the one who had the city named for her and so her name is etched in history.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

According to the time-lines Kassandros married Thessaloniki in Spring 317 after which the city of Thessaloniki was founded, composedof four villages which were amalgamated to make the city.They eventually had 3 sons, and one of these sons murdered his mother.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

According to the time-lines Kassandros married Thessaloniki in Spring 317 after which the city of Thessaloniki was founded, composedof four villages which were amalgamated to make the city.They eventually had 3 sons, and one of these sons murdered his mother.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I may well be wrong but I thought he married her after the surrender of Olympias at Pydna which was 316? Although there is an alternative chronology for this period I thought this was the traditional one.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I may well be wrong but I thought he married her after the surrender of Olympias at Pydna which was 316? Although there is an alternative chronology for this period I thought this was the traditional one.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

No, youGÇÖre right, Agesilas, at least according to Diodorus who places the marriage after the death of Olympias."Diodorus XIX.52.1 (316 B.C.) As for Cassander, now that his affairs had succeeded according to his intentions, he began to embrace in his hopes the Macedonian kingdom. For this reason he married Thessalonic+¬, who was Philip's daughter and Alexander's half-sister, since he desired to establish a connection with the royal house."And Diodorus further relates that Antigonus claimed it was a forced marriage, which might help with another part of AmberGÇÖs question. :-)XIX.61.1-2 (315 B.C.) Antigonus, after Polyperchon's son Alexander had come to him, made a pact of friendship with him, and then, calling a general assembly of the soldiers and of the aliens who were dwelling there, laid charges against Cassander, bringing forward the murder of Olympias and the treatment of Roxan+¬ and the king. [2] Moreover, he said that Cassander had married Thessalonic+¬ by force, and was clearly trying to establish his own claim to the Macedonian throne ; and also that, although the Olynthians were very bitter enemies of the Macedonians, Cassander had reestablished them in a city called by his own name and had rebuilt Thebes, which had been razed by the Macedonians."Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

No, youGÇÖre right, Agesilas, at least according to Diodorus who places the marriage after the death of Olympias."Diodorus XIX.52.1 (316 B.C.) As for Cassander, now that his affairs had succeeded according to his intentions, he began to embrace in his hopes the Macedonian kingdom. For this reason he married Thessalonic+¬, who was Philip's daughter and Alexander's half-sister, since he desired to establish a connection with the royal house."And Diodorus further relates that Antigonus claimed it was a forced marriage, which might help with another part of AmberGÇÖs question. :-)XIX.61.1-2 (315 B.C.) Antigonus, after Polyperchon's son Alexander had come to him, made a pact of friendship with him, and then, calling a general assembly of the soldiers and of the aliens who were dwelling there, laid charges against Cassander, bringing forward the murder of Olympias and the treatment of Roxan+¬ and the king. [2] Moreover, he said that Cassander had married Thessalonic+¬ by force, and was clearly trying to establish his own claim to the Macedonian throne ; and also that, although the Olynthians were very bitter enemies of the Macedonians, Cassander had reestablished them in a city called by his own name and had rebuilt Thebes, which had been razed by the Macedonians."Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor