Re: Alexander's movie

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

John

Re: Macedonian Artillery

Post by John »

OK, Celeste, since you won't respond, I will:
The Alexander with the guitar in the link to my above post hauntingly reminds me of the lead singer from Alice in chains. So think of Hodini burried underground back in time, dead, frozen, chained in a box (cofin). How does he come back from the "dead"?
Alexander was poisined, it is written, from ice-cold water from the river Styx; so put "ice" at the end of "Al;" Alice (frozen) in chains; "Man in the Box" How do the lyrics go? "Jesus Christ; deny your maker; he who tries will be wasted; feed my eyes; can you sew them shut?"
Hodini used to brag that he would come back from the dead, and I believe to this day people still try to reach him through "channeling" on Halloween. What about Al? If you're writing an "autobiography" about him, Celeste, and you're female, maybe he's channeling through you, and maybe he should have a females name? I think I'd like him better as "Alexander De Large" in "A Clockwork Orange." - By the way, what does Clockwork Orange mean? I can't seem to make heads or tales of that title.
John
Yiannis

Re: for mr adrianopoulos

Post by Yiannis »

Well, Mr. Adrianopoulos' comments might be insulting and misleading (but as an ancient philosopher once said: opinions are like assholes, everybody has got one:-) but he's right in one thing. There was a Greek-Turkish war episode in April-May 1997. Greece engaged in war with Turkey over Crete and after the massacres that the Turks committed against the Christians on the island. Greece had almost no organized army and a very poor navy (which never the less devastated the Turkish one). The land operations were a disaster for the land troops and the war ended with the intervention of France, England and Russia and the payment of war reparations from the Greek part.
James

What was the first battle he won?

Post by James »

I have 1 hour to do a report. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pericles

Re: Was Alexander the Great really great?

Post by Pericles »

That depends on your definition of great...if you mean to ask whether he was the greatest conqueror of his era, then certainly. But consider the state of his empire after his unexpected death in 323...his "empire" had no real leader and soon broke into individual kingdoms after the Battle of Kings in 301. While his conquests were impressive, they were very short lived.
s

Re: Macedonia and Greek

Post by s »

what are you saying, that alexander was yugoslavian macedonian. He was greece and macedonia is in greece not in yug.
Johann

Re: Was Alexander the Great really great?

Post by Johann »

Was Alexander Great? (You should begin by defining your use of the word "great".) Defend your answer. Then tell me:-+ In what areas was he successful?-+ Explain two major failures?-+ Evaluate his legacy?-+ Why was he important?--Was Alexander Great?In order to assess whether Alexander of Macedonia is justly described as "The Great", we first have to define what we mean by "great". The usage I will consider is that in WebsterGÇÖs Collegiate Edition for its noun form: "an outstandingly superior or skillful person".Skillful Alexander certainly was. Even in his youth, he was outstanding, one of those who excels at everything he tries. He was brilliant at sports, and an accomplished rider to the degree that he could tame a horse that all others had failed with. If his tutor Aristotle had not precisely succeeded in forming his mind, yet he had given him a deep love of Greek literature and a reverence for Greek civilisation. From his father he had inherited a gift for war, which Philip himself acknowledged was greater in the son than the father GÇô "My son, Macedonia is too small for you; seek out a larger empire, worthier of you". At a mere eighteen, Alexander had led the Macedonian cavalry in his fatherGÇÖs triumphant conquest of the Athenians.Alexander was idolised by PhilipGÇÖs army, and when Philip himself was assassinated by one of his officers, he in turn took the throne with the support of the army and his mother Olympias, and proceeded to take his fatherGÇÖs advice. At the start of his reign he barely controlled Macedonia and all of Greece excepting only Sparta. When he died, he had not only reinforced his hold on those, but also conquered Persia, Egypt, Jerusalem and even parts of India.Yet he was not really a great general, though he undoubtedly had the services of such. Rather, he was an enthusiastic and gifted fighter GÇô rather too much so, as he insisted on being in the thick of things; a practice which, while it endeared him to his soldiery on the one hand, also caused them no small amount of concern.He himself was so energetic, and so fired by his dreams, that he lost touch entirely with the mood of his soldiery, and it took what was tantamount to a mutiny to force him to stop his attempt to conquer India and instead turn back and give his exhausted troops a rest from battle.He alienated his men again when he proclaimed himself a god, son of Zeus-Ammon. This was not exactly a new invention: the tale had been put ab
pavlos_melas

Re: to the person interested

Post by pavlos_melas »

So, where are these coins with the "true Macedonian" inscriptions? I'm dying to see them.Borza...give me a break. I have the answer, let me see if I can find the question.
Ula

Re: Alexander and Women

Post by Ula »

Hi Nick!
That is true that there is more women in Alexander's history, but you must note, that every source we have today on him were written at least 300 years after his death (Diodorus Siculus is the oldest). The times were different and one could write more about women.
geekron24

Re: Alexander in Empire Earth

Post by geekron24 »

boring
Gradoc

Re: Macedonian Artillery

Post by Gradoc »

Clockwork Orange- Orange means man in some language so thus title means clockwork man.
goodasgold

So what is the "correct" spelling of Alexander?

Post by goodasgold »

So what is the spelling of Alexander in either Greek or Macedonian? (and I have to admit ignorance - did the Macedonians at the time speak a Slavic tongue?)
By the way, I too have a crush on Alexander (though that is not really the reason for this inquiry.)
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: So what is the

Post by marcus »

The Macedonians of Alexander's time almost certainly did *not* speak a Slavic language, but a dialect of Greek. It was distinct enough from what the rest of the Greeks spoke (as far as we know, and we know nothing about the language for certain) for the Macedonians to be considered "not Greek" by the Athenians et al.
All the best
Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK