cast

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

alejandro
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

cast

Post by alejandro »

My dear friendsThe question was considered many times, but never properly posed: what will be pothos' "dream team" cast if we were to decide the actors in an ATG movie (assuming we have the money, of course)?
I've been several times to Jeanne Reames-Zimmermann page (http://www.geocities.com/philalexandros/fun.html), but it was not updated for a long time.
This "game" could even be considered as a poll (the webmaster is always looking for an attractive topic, and probably this one will attract many opinions).
IMHO, I always thought that Tom Cruise was the actor to interpret Alex. He has presence, can do action movies and is a quite good actor (he was nominated twice for the Oscars, so he cannot be that bad!). Of course, he's way too old for Alex, but I was expecting the movie could have been done 10 years ago...
The other roles are not so easy to fill, though after visiting Dr Zimmermann's website, I have to admit that I cannot think of anyone else but Nicholas Lea being Philotas.
Also, Sofia Loren as Sisygambis is a luxury.
Probably Martin Sheen would be one of the Companions, or even Parmenion or Antipater (I don't know whether Sheen's age is near those of the latter two).
What are your choices?
RegardsAlejandro
Thalestris-Alexandros

Re: cast

Post by Thalestris-Alexandros »

If I were a cast director for an ATG film I would hold casting calls for film-drama college students and foreign actors. Peter Jackson controlled "The Lord of the Rings" *tall order* cinema-screen monolith, and its actors were fairly well selected, and performed their characters successfully; therefore, ATG cast should be the same---NO BIG STARS WITH BIG $$$$ EGOS. But that is my *strong* opinion.Cheers!
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: cast

Post by marcus »

I am largely inclined to agree with you - but it makes the game a bit dull :-)I was thinking about it yesterday, and I'd probably put Gene Hackman in as Parmenion. I've already earmarked Viggo Mortensen as Krateros, and I'm quite happy with Nicole Kidman as Olympias.Here's an out-of-the-box thought - what about Ray Liotta as Philip, or Kleitos?All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: more cast

Post by marcus »

...and I'm thinking that Liam Neeson could be Darius (mainly for his height, which is what made Harry Andrews such a good'un in 1956).Of course, I'd also *have* to find a part for Gabriel Byrne - perhaps as whichever of Philip or Kleitos Ray Liotta didn't play.Roxane will, of course, be played by Selma Hayek, and the dance she does for Alexander will be based on the dance she performs in "From Dusk Till Dawn"... oh dear, back into the cold shower...All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

I totally agree with you abour Salma Hayek! ;)
Thalestris-Alexandros

Post by Thalestris-Alexandros »

Hmmm, the Amazon Queen would have indoctrinated her and *enjoyed* her company as well. Cold shower? No, wine preferably to extend the thought and sensations. ANYWAY! Viggo Mortensen would be Purrrfect as Krateros!!!! Yes! Parmenion or Philip: Simon CallowHephaistion...now I see Heath Ledger as a perfect Hephaistion. Olympias: Kate Blanchet. She perfomed "Elizabeth" well, why not Olympias. Or Moira Kelly.Perdikkas: Orlando Bloom.Kleitos: Rufus SewellBarsine: Catherine McCormackAlexander: I still strongly feel an unknown or rarely-seen foreign actor should be Alexander, preferably from the Mediterranean region or Balkan region. Well, I do make it my career to obsess over visions of my cast...it is all part of veverating our Great one.Cheers!!
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Hi all,
How about Linda Carter as Olympias. After all, she played the Amazon Queen "Wonder Woman" for years....for Marcus, all I can say is "if only Salma Hayek could act"...We will need a woman with great stage presence to play Barsine, potentially to lift any perfomance by Alexander a bit. How about Jack Palance for Parmenion.
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Nick,In my dream (sorry, "film scenario") there is absolutely no need for Ms Hayek to act, merely to dance *that* dance and look absolutely stunning.That alone would be enough to make Alexander fall head over heels and have her washed, anointed, and brought to her tent...Back to the cold shower.Marcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ScottOden

Post by ScottOden »

I could see Oded Fehr (Ahmed Bey from 'the Mummy') as Memnon, Sophie Marceau as Barsine, the old guy in 'Braveheart' who played Uncle Argyll as Philip (wish I could remember this guy's name), Paul Walker as Philotas or Hephastion (maybe). As for Alexander himself...I have no clue. That part may be one of the hardest to cast.Scott
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Brian Cox played Argyll in 'Braveheart'.Actually, I had forgotten about him - but I'd pit him against Gene Hackman for Parmenion, myself. Or one of them could be Antipater?All the bestMarcusPS: Sophie Marceau should definitely have a part!
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK