Alexander movies

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Margo

Alexander movies

Post by Margo »

Does anyone know if there was ever a movie made about Alexander? I heard that in the 70s there was talk about an adaption of Mary Renault's "The Persian Boy", but I don't think it ever made it out of just... talk! I would LOVE to see a movie about Alexander (maybe based on "Fire from Heaven"?) with the detail and grandeur of say, "Gladiator"! That would be my dream come true! Who would be cast as Alexander? I would like to say... Josh Hartnett? Eh, well that's just me. (Can you tell I'm new here? I started reading Renault's books for a high school English project and fell in love with Alexander.. I have a crush on him!)
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Alexander movies

Post by marcus »

Margo,
The only Hollywood film made so far was an incredibly bad one in 1958 (I think) with Richard Burton as Alexander. You can see in the forum archive that there are a couple of projects being talked about at the moment, but no other has yet been made.
There was a Bollywood film made as well, once, but I don't know who by or whether it is any good. I would love to see that!
All the best
Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
mlygia

Post by mlygia »

Go to http://www.geocities.com/philalexandros/fun.html
and you will find a lot about this topic
susa

Post by susa »

Hi MargoHope you like it here! There are nice people, and nice talk too. Well, i think in a way everybody here have a crush on Alex - he's a great character, no?I like Renault's books as well. Who cares if she makes things somewhat sweetish?:) :)Bye!Susa
NickWelman

Post by NickWelman »

Hi Marcus -
Well, a synopsis of both the Hollywood and the Bollywood movies have been available in the Information section for ages (check Motion Pictures). Later on, I discovered there are actually two versions of the Hollywood movie: the official full length movie (available on VHS) and a little shorter version (maybe the difference is some 15 minutes) used for broadcasting. My synopsis was based on the shorter version, as it was broadcasted on German tv in the summer of '99.
Regards -
Nick
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Thanks Nick.
It just goes to show that, if you bother to look, all the information you might want is there. I confess I didn't look, but time is money, y'know... <g>
Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Delboy!

Post by Delboy! »

Em yeah hun right there with ya on that idea! I think he's great!! Im doing arrians book at d moment, and Alex is just great but remember...... he was an arrogant prick who may have had a hand in his own fathers murder!! not 2 mention the poor sods who rubbed him the wrong way!!
catch ya l8r
ps. ..... I think maybe... Heath Ledger!!! oooooooh yeah!!
cya!
susa

Post by susa »

Wow! What's that? Cryptography? Is it allowed cryptography in this forum?
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Hello fellow admirer of Alexander the Great! Sounds like you have been smitten by what you have read of Alexander. You want to know more about him?? This is a very good place to start, corresponding with scholars, students, and votaries of the young conqueror. Want to correspond?? Email me: shamroc4@optonline.net
I may be of some assistance to you...other than Renault, try Quintus Curtius...you may like his perception and writing of Alexander:):)