Two stories from RogueClassicism

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Two stories from RogueClassicism

Post by marcus »

Two stories today.

The first, about a planned mini-series, looks interesting, although I'm intrigued about how Seleucus (Nicator) is supposed to have been at school with an Indian ...

The second, a podcast with Elizabeth Baynham, might seem more mundane, but is probably more 'useful'.

All the best
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Two stories from RogueClassicism

Post by athenas owl »

marcus wrote:Two stories today.

The first, about a planned mini-series, looks interesting, although I'm intrigued about how Seleucus (Nicator) is supposed to have been at school with an Indian ...

All the best
It's a "timey-wimey" thing. :D I understand why someone would do it, from a dramatic standpoint. though they're making both of them some 30 to 50 years, give or take, younger than they really were. Must be a need for for the children's angle? The cute factor? It could be done, based on the actual ages of the two, though. That could have been possible.

Hello everyone. Hope all are well.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

athenas owl wrote:
marcus wrote:Two stories today.

All the best
It's a "timey-wimey" thing. :D I understand why someone would do it, from a dramatic standpoint. though they're making both of them some 30 to 50 years, give or take, younger than they really were. Must be a need for for the children's angle? The cute factor? It could be done, based on the actual ages of the two, though. That could have been possible.

Hello everyone. Hope all are well.
I'm not sure the age thing is 'wrong' - I don't think they are supposed to be boys during A's invasion of India, but that they were boys studying together who then grew up to be on opposite sides.
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Oh, I see what you are saying. I read it differently and perhaps incorrectly. So the idea is that somehow Chanakya and Seleucus were lads together around 350 BC or so (where?!?)and then found themselves on opposite sides when ATG invaded India.

I was thinking a bit later, when Seleucus was hashing it out with Chanragupta. Chanakya was Chandragupta's mentor, right? That they had been lads when ATG invaded, and Seleucus was just a kid in the entourage of Alexander. Some meeting of the minds in Taxila or something.

Well it will be interesting to see where they place this childhood idle at.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

athenas owl wrote:Oh, I see what you are saying. I read it differently and perhaps incorrectly. So the idea is that somehow Chanakya and Seleucus were lads together around 350 BC or so (where?!?)and then found themselves on opposite sides when ATG invaded India.

I was thinking a bit later, when Seleucus was hashing it out with Chanragupta. Chanakya was Chandragupta's mentor, right? That they had been lads when ATG invaded, and Seleucus was just a kid in the entourage of Alexander. Some meeting of the minds in Taxila or something.

Well it will be interesting to see where they place this childhood idle at.
I see where you're coming from. Certainly I understood it the way I said it, but they might have been a bit clearer.
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK