Horrible Histories

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Horrible Histories

Post by marcus »

While looking up something, else, I was reminded of the Alexander the Great sketch on the brilliant "Horrible Histories" series (for those who don't know, a TV series for children based on the superb "Horrible Histories" books). To my knowledge it's the only Alexander sketch they've done; but it's fairly whimsical and worth a look:

You can watch it on YouTube.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
bessusww
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Horrible Histories

Post by bessusww »

Just maybe off topic...
marcus did you see the programe about the modern Builders trying to rebuild a Roman Villa.

I doubt any Roman or Macedonian Building endevours were really quite so cush for the Slaves Im Sure the Romans and even Alexander had the use of.

I dont think modern builders with the health And Safety stuff can really show the reality of been forced to work via lashes and brutality

richard
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

bessusww wrote:Just maybe off topic...
marcus did you see the programe about the modern Builders trying to rebuild a Roman Villa.

I doubt any Roman or Macedonian Building endevours were really quite so cush for the Slaves Im Sure the Romans and even Alexander had the use of.

I dont think modern builders with the health And Safety stuff can really show the reality of been forced to work via lashes and brutality

richard
Unfortunately I didn't get to see that - I don't have TV at the moment.

Was it the new villa at Wroxeter, which I know they've just opened? I've seen pictures of it, and it looks great.

But yes, I imagine the workmen didn't have to construct it under the same conditions as the Romans' builders had to endure! :(

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
lysis56

Post by lysis56 »

I just stumbled on this post. It was hysterical and reminded me way too much of Monty Python. I wonder if one of them was behind it. Come to think of it I wonder why they never took a shook at Alexander? Anyway, this more than made up for it. It made my day.

Lysis
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

lysis56 wrote:I just stumbled on this post. It was hysterical and reminded me way too much of Monty Python. I wonder if one of them was behind it. Come to think of it I wonder why they never took a shook at Alexander? Anyway, this more than made up for it. It made my day.

Lysis
Glad you enjoyed it, Lysis!

Sometimes, Horrible Histories is a little bit Pythonesque, but none of the Pythons are behind it. It is, however, a brilliant programme, and superbly acted.

I am surprised that the series hasn't featured Alexander more, though. In the first two series he only appears once, in that sketch. I haven't seen the third series, though, and perhaps he makes a return visit! :D

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
chris_taylor

Post by chris_taylor »

marcus wrote:Unfortunately I didn't get to see that - I don't have TV at the moment. Was it the new villa at Wroxeter, which I know they've just opened? I've seen pictures of it, and it looks great.
did you mean this one? the first 2 episodes are available on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DMPeX3h ... verified=1

Chris.
All men by nature desire understanding. Aristotle.