New Movie - Young Alexander The Great

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Re: New Movie - Young Alexander The Great

Post by marcus »

athenas owl wrote:Ah....I have a soft spot of "Jason and the Argonauts", which is from the early 60's. I loved it as a kid (when the special effects were pretty awesome for their time). I watched it again recently and it is dated, true, but those armed skeletons rising out of the earth were the best. Which reminds me of my favourite Wikipedia article of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Randy_in_Boise
That is good! :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Ray Harryhousen's 'Jason and the Argonauts' and 'Clash of the Titans' are so much fun. I've only been introduced to them recently. The new 'Clash of the Titans' did not float my boat though.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks, Marcus, for your good wishes. I have finally reached nearly 54,000 words and will go to Mesa tomorrow to have help in submitting the story to NaNoWriMo for actual wordcount. It has been quite a project. In answer to why October, because two sources used that date and I am staying with it because of some of the events that happened then. He was supposedly in Athens as representative for his Father in making the treaty, and so it is said, celebrated his birthday then. There appears to be always some question about the date, but there are two sources that I am using who always said October. Timing and his age are somewhat relevant. It is always interesting to read what he does do at such a young age when he assumes the role of his father, whether as regent or when he finally is accepted and crowned as King. He is interesting in how he exposes his own immaturity at times, as he is man and boy all at the same time. I just can imagine that some of his father's close friends did have to struggle within themselves many times having to have such a young man give them orders. However, in my story, Alexander has the advantage of his belief in all that Olympias has told him about being son of Zeus. Just as Achilles could see Athena when arguing with Agamemnon, Alexander can also see the gods when they choose to make an appearance. That kind of faith and knowledge gives him confidence and assurance that nobody else could ever have. So when the gods are with you, who can stop you? Nobody! Don't you halfway suspect that when Philip fell flat on his face that Athena or Apollo could have tripped him? I found the Iliad fascinating that way, so faith and begorra, I am seeing to it that the gods do likewise for Alexander! It is fiction, and it is my story, and I am sticking to it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

My postscript:

I did go to Mesa, had my 53,538 words validated, and my first draft is officially in the hands of the NaNoWriMo group. This was a spur of the moment attempt just to get me off the dime, and so I am happy that I have at least got the book started. I really found myself enjoying the entire effort as I believe his childhood is so very important to understanding him later in his decision making process. I am using the Iliad and Euripides to prove my contention that Alexander is always under the influence of religious beliefs, which mandates his destiny. I had had a professor in college who told our criminology class that books or novels impact life more than any other medium. I believe that the life of Alexander illustrates that very well. HIs parents are equally important, Olympias, the religious devotee, and Philip, the absent but ever militant father. Through Alexander, the young will come to learn something of the Iliad and Ion. It has been fun. Amazing at how many videos are available on youtube on the topic of The Iliad alone, much less Hippolytes and Euripides.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

jan wrote:My postscript:

I did go to Mesa, had my 53,538 words validated, and my first draft is officially in the hands of the NaNoWriMo group.
May I say well done on reaching the 50,000 words. I've failed dismally. Hope to see your book in print one day.
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

marcus wrote:
That's a shame. They should just get another actor and continue with the excellent work! :shock:
ATB
Hot off the press: The beautiful Andy Whitfield is to be replaced with another Adonis. Let's hope he is slightly less um.. Spartan... with his facial expressions than his predecessor. Not to say that it would be of great consequence. The excellent work continues!

To tide you over Marcus, I post a link to the trailer to the prequel.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox ... wless.html

You're welcome. :)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote:To tide you over Marcus, I post a link to the trailer to the prequel.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox ... wless.html

You're welcome. :)
Ah! Thank you. That was a good minute or so of my time. Looking forward to it ... :shock:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK