Excitement

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Excitement

Post by marcus »

This one's just a bit self-indulgent, really.

Last week I left the school I was teaching at, as I take up a new post (in a different part of the country) in September. All very emotional and all that, but the key thing is that my leaving present from the staff was a fantastic replica of a kopis. (I assume it's a replica of the replica that Colin Farrell used in Alexander.) This shows how useful it has been working with another Ancient Historian, rather than a boring Modern one - how else would she have instinctively known what I would have wanted?

Now I just have to work out how best to hang it on the wall - if anyone has any suggestions as to the best type of hooks/hangings, please share! :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Excitement

Post by Taphoi »

The approved style (conveniently slung from a peg via your leather tasselled sword belt or balteus) is properly indicated by this ancient representation:

Please do not forget to post a photo of the gift in situ on your Flickr site and link to it from this thread.

Best of luck in your new post!

Andrew
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Taphoi wrote:The approved style (conveniently slung from a peg via your leather tasselled sword belt or balteus) is properly indicated by this ancient representation:

Please do not forget to post a photo of the gift in situ on your Flickr site and link to it from this thread.

Andrew
Thanks, Andrew.

Unfortunately, there's no swordbelt or scabbard that comes with it; but I did do something in a similar vein to hang my pair of tulwars - but that used simple nails and I'd rather try something a bit more classy for the kopis. I shall investigate once I'm back from hols, and post a picture ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Taphoi wrote:The approved style (conveniently slung from a peg via your leather tasselled sword belt or balteus) is properly indicated by this ancient representation:

Andrew
Ha! That was my first thought as well...

Marcus, good luck in your post. As for displaying your neat gift....

It would be hard to find some unobtrusive wall mount? Small non-reactive metal studs or something? I have my goodies in a coffee table in front of the main sofa. A table that has a deep drawer with a glass top. One can see the treasures, but dust and the eventual grime of living don't affect them. I've had such fragile things as a few of my wedding flowers (old!) in it, to a piece of 500 year old Indian pottery. I realise that it might be a bit expensive. But I love the thing. The drawers make access easy. There are three levels of drawers. Maps and charts are in the lower ones. (I have taken the knobs off while the grandkids are young and grabby..and breaky. :( ).