History Channel's rendition of Alexander

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

History Channel's rendition of Alexander

Post by Theseus »

Okay I bought the dvd "The True Story of Alexander the Great" on ebay months ago and finally had the time to sit and watch it today. I found myself nodding and thinking yeah I knew that yet I think they put some myth in as fact. I did enjoy seeing the actual places some of the events did take place thousands of years ago. I think I was expecting more being it was by the History channel. I am sure a lot of you have seen this movie and would like to hear your input of this dvd.
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Well one of the things I first picked up on was that they had said that Aristotle taught Alexander in a cave and I thought it was at Mieza. I checked my books and some sources online and most believe it to be Mieza. Also that Cleopatra committed suicide after Phillip was killed, when in fact Olympias had a hand in that. There were some other minor things as well, but it makes me wonder how a reputable channel such as the History channel didn't do a bit more checking into things before filming this documentary. I still enjoyed it and it wasn't all incorrect so I still would recommend it. I have one other 3 dvd set that I need to sit and watch. Sitting still for a long time is a problem for me and it takes me a bit to just sit and watch something. :)
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Vergina Sun

Post by Vergina Sun »

I've always had a special place for "The True Story of Alexander the Great", as it was the first documentary on Alexander I ever saw. I admit, it wasn't perfect. The part with the cave was dramatic, but I agree that it probably wouldn't have occurred like that. The battle scenes were very nice if you ask me. Peter Woodward was an amazing host, and captured tense scenes well. The actors weren't the best that I've ever seen. The actor playing Alexander was probably based on the Alexander Mosaic. He was one of the few Alexanders who actually looked about the right age. The historians were a good idea, but ended up just looking a bit weird. They didn't spend too much time on India, which disappointed me. I was delighted that they didn't end with the death of Alexander, but went beyond to the search of his tomb. Hephaestion wasn't given a very large role, but was mentioned none the less. All in all, it is probably my favorite Alexander documentary. The facts weren't slanted too much, and it was very dramatic. I too would definitely recommend it.

A documentary with 3 DVDs? Would it by any chance be "Alexander the Great: Myth and Reality"? If it is, be warned - it's quite corny in some parts, and doesn't really mention much about myth and reality. It is a largely Greek view of Alexander, too. It's not bad, but it certainly isn't very good either.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Vergina Sun wrote:I've always had a special place for "The True Story of Alexander the Great", as it was the first documentary on Alexander I ever saw. I admit, it wasn't perfect. The part with the cave was dramatic, but I agree that it probably wouldn't have occurred like that. The battle scenes were very nice if you ask me. Peter Woodward was an amazing host, and captured tense scenes well. The actors weren't the best that I've ever seen. The actor playing Alexander was probably based on the Alexander Mosaic. He was one of the few Alexanders who actually looked about the right age. The historians were a good idea, but ended up just looking a bit weird. They didn't spend too much time on India, which disappointed me. I was delighted that they didn't end with the death of Alexander, but went beyond to the search of his tomb. Hephaestion wasn't given a very large role, but was mentioned none the less. All in all, it is probably my favorite Alexander documentary. The facts weren't slanted too much, and it was very dramatic. I too would definitely recommend it.

A documentary with 3 DVDs? Would it by any chance be "Alexander the Great: Myth and Reality"? If it is, be warned - it's quite corny in some parts, and doesn't really mention much about myth and reality. It is a largely Greek view of Alexander, too. It's not bad, but it certainly isn't very good either.
I agree that the battle scenes were pretty good. I used to be a member of the SCA and we did medieval reinactments and it looked like from the behind the scenes of the dvd that they used those type of people to portray the soldiers and battles. I did like that they talked about the phalanx and how some of the battles went.
I think it all in all was pretty good, but wish they had made sure what they said was fact was indeed fact, but it wasn't like the whole dvd was false. The person who played Alexander was Michael Cardelle and he's been in a few other things, nothing major, but yes he had a little resemblance to Alexander I guess.
Yes the other dvd I have is the Myth and Reality one :lol: Are you telling me I shouldn't bother? :wink: Please tell me I won't die of boredom. I'll just watch one dvd a day so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm a hyper adrenaline junky that just hates to sit for too long, but if there is a good special on the History channel, Discovery, Nat Geo. ect... I will watch it.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Vergina Sun

Post by Vergina Sun »

Theseus wrote:I agree that the battle scenes were pretty good. I used to be a member of the SCA and we did medieval reinactments and it looked like from the behind the scenes of the dvd that they used those type of people to portray the soldiers and battles. I did like that they talked about the phalanx and how some of the battles went.
I think it all in all was pretty good, but wish they had made sure what they said was fact was indeed fact, but it wasn't like the whole dvd was false. The person who played Alexander was Michael Cardelle and he's been in a few other things, nothing major, but yes he had a little resemblance to Alexander I guess.
Yes the other dvd I have is the Myth and Reality one :lol: Are you telling me I shouldn't bother? :wink: Please tell me I won't die of boredom. I'll just watch one dvd a day so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm a hyper adrenaline junky that just hates to sit for too long, but if there is a good special on the History channel, Discovery, Nat Geo. ect... I will watch it.
Michael Cardelle? I can't say I've heard of him before, but it turns out that he's in some soap opera. Alexander and soap operas - he must really like dramas.

:lol: No, you probably won't die of boredom. If you're feeling immature, some parts can actually be funny. The most alarming aspect is that they made it in 2005, but don't expect a visual feast. I watched it all in one day, and that somewhat annoying theme music was thundering in my ears for the next few days. Most of my friends are "hyper adrenaline junkies", but oddly enough I prefer sitting around with giant textbooks. Tell us what you think of "Myth and Reality"!
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

quote]

Michael Cardelle? I can't say I've heard of him before, but it turns out that he's in some soap opera. Alexander and soap operas - he must really like dramas.

:lol: No, you probably won't die of boredom. If you're feeling immature, some parts can actually be funny. The most alarming aspect is that they made it in 2005, but don't expect a visual feast. I watched it all in one day, and that somewhat annoying theme music was thundering in my ears for the next few days. Most of my friends are "hyper adrenaline junkies", but oddly enough I prefer sitting around with giant textbooks. Tell us what you think of "Myth and Reality"![/quote]

Yeah the guy hasn't been in much, but did a fairly good job being he didn't have any speaking lines, but some of the intense looks he had to do were good I guess. :lol:
I will probably watch the other documentary this week and will definately let you know what I think of it.
Don't get me wrong about being an adrenaline junkie, I do sit and read my ancient history books quite a bit. There is nothing like getting into a really good book and to get lost in it as well. I just got done reading about Pericles who led Anthens from 495-429 bc. I really enjoy Plutarchs writing. I have just started to read some of Arrian's work and hope it's as enjoyable.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Vergina Sun

Post by Vergina Sun »

Theseus wrote:Yeah the guy hasn't been in much, but did a fairly good job being he didn't have any speaking lines, but some of the intense looks he had to do were good I guess. :lol:
I will probably watch the other documentary this week and will definately let you know what I think of it.
Don't get me wrong about being an adrenaline junkie, I do sit and read my ancient history books quite a bit. There is nothing like getting into a really good book and to get lost in it as well. I just got done reading about Pericles who led Anthens from 495-429 bc. I really enjoy Plutarchs writing. I have just started to read some of Arrian's work and hope it's as enjoyable.
Oh yes, his intense looks were fantastic. I especially liked his change from a drunken grin to pure rage when Attalus called him a bastard. It was almost as good as Burton's in "Alexander the Great (1956)". If I could give some of those looks, perhaps I could get more candy while trick-or-treating. :lol:

I can't wait to hear what you think of "Myth and Reality". Hopefully my comments haven't biased you too much. :wink:

I agree. Nothing compares to a great book. If only there was time to read all of them...