Yet another version of "Alexander"?

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Yet another version of "Alexander"?

Post by marcus »

To quote from the ever-interesting RogueClassicism:
... Dark Horizons reports that Oliver Stone is making yet another cut of Alexander ... here's the concluding paragraph:

During that interview, Stone said "I'm doing a third version on DVD, not theatrical. I'm going to do a Cecile B Demille/Oliver Stone three hour forty five minute thing, I'm going to go all out, put everything I like in the movie. He was a complicated man, it was a complicated story and it doesn't hurt to make it longer and let people who loved the film and see it more and understand it more".

... or to milk another forty or so bucks out of them.
Now, I'm not going to get drawn into any discussions on the film myself, but will just say that I thought the Director's Cut was an improvement on the Theatrical release. I haven't made up my mind whether I'd want to sit through a close-to-four-hour version ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Hubris

Post by jan »

:oops: and laughing out loud even louder, Cecile B. DeMille and Oliver Stone in the same breath! I can't stop laughing! Sorry....
Paralus
Chiliarch

The director's cut of the director's cut?

Post by Paralus »

Firstly, why is it - when they are invariably adding footage - a cut? Yes, yes, I know. Just being a picky bastard!

Near on four hours? Dannces With Phalanx. Then again, that was a good film and I shouldn't do it a disservice. A score by John Barry would, though, be an improvement.

Possibly Oliver Cimino - Persians' Gate......
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hello,

Talk about flogging a dead horse. I know there are people out there who thought that the film was good and enjoyed it but I think that sitting through four hours of that would just be torture. I suppose that the film companies are trying to get a bit of money back on the film which can't exactly be classed as the biggest box office success of all time.

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
azara
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by azara »

Well, you don't have to sit through four hours of Alexander deeds... you can stand up, go to the bathroom, take a break as long as you wish... it is only a DVD, after all, not Guantanamo prison! :)
I think this new release (if and when et cetera) may contain some interesting material, especially to fill the gaps in the narrative but also with regard to historic reconstruction. Obviously it's not like finding the missing volumes of Curtius, but one must be content...
With my best regards
Azara
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

azara wrote:Well, you don't have to sit through four hours of Alexander deeds... you can stand up, go to the bathroom, take a break as long as you wish... it is only a DVD, after all, not Guantanamo prison! :)
That's very true. It also means that, once you know what's on the disc, you can select chapters, so that those people who only want to watch the battle scenes can do so, and those who want to look for the rude bits can do that, as well.
:oops:
ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
azara
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by azara »

You bet! But, why is that Smily blushing? "Omnia munda mundis"!
Besides, I'm afraid Oliver Stone will keep the spicy bits for the fourth edition. All the best
Azara
dean
Hetairos (companion)

The best of Alexander's greatest hits volume 5

Post by dean »

Hello,
Besides, I'm afraid Oliver Stone will keep the spicy bits for the fourth edition. All the best
Yes, you never know, it could be the fifth, sorry, the fourth edition. It could be like Yoko Ono, who every year compiles a new best of John Lennon album- you buy it only to find it has no new material or similarly, the best of the best of Elivs. :lol: sorry couldn't resist.

BTW I find Angelie Jolie's slav? accent so sexy- I wonder why she chose to speak like count dracula's bride :?: Either way, she looks great. :roll:

Best,
Dean
carpe diem
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: The best of Alexander's greatest hits volume 5

Post by marcus »

dean wrote:BTW I find Angelie Jolie's slav? accent so sexy- I wonder why she chose to speak like count dracula's bride :?: Either way, she looks great. :roll:
Couldn't agree more! Ms Jolie was one of the very highest points of the film! And the sideways glance she gives Eurydice, when Philip is murdered, is fantastic!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

azara wrote:You bet! But, why is that Smily blushing? "Omnia munda mundis"!
Well, being the reserved Englishman that I am, any thought of that sort of unpleasantness makes me uncomfortable ... :lol:

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK