Google earth

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

dean
Hetairos (companion)

Google earth

Post by dean »

Hello,
Just downloaded from the web the program "google earth"- I am sure it has been round for ages(I hear about these things much after the fact) but for anyone who hasn't heard of it, it is a world satellite tool,( not in real time) to zone in on far off and distant places. I just pulled up Persepolis- was a bit disappointed.
Has anyone used this program to see any of the ancient sites Alexander would have visited?
Best regards,
Dean.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Google earth

Post by Paralus »

GGÇÖday Dean.I hope this wonGÇÖt be taken the wrong way, but the software is evidently American.By which, I mean that a search for Sparta may possibly turn up the Leonidas caf+¬, round the corner from McDonalds in Georgia, but not Greece. It seems to be able to turn up a flatulent footballer filching phags* in Fort Worth, but outside the USA the map details become rather sparse. In some places it is near non existent. A marvellous idea though.Possibly put together with the geographical/historical knowledge of the 43rd President?Paralus*Cigrarettes - the software won't allow me the Australian slang which begins with an "f". It also describes a homsexual which, I assume, is what it's taken issue with. It substituted "nice persons". How very interesting. I shall have to remember that should there ever be a thread on Alexander's sexuality. If "nice persons" appears in a response I post...well you'll all know what I wrote!! :-)
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hi Michael,LOL.and I see what you mean about the U.S. connection.
I typed in "Alexandria" and it went to the city just south of New York-
Not the 3000 year old city founded by Alexander.
Oh well, what the heck-
Best regards,
Dean.
Athanasios

Post by Athanasios »

Dean,I am off to Iran tomorrow for a fortnight and hope, work pending, that I have some time in which to see Persepolis. Hopefully better than the Google site and most definitely not a McD's in site (prohibited by the government). Who said tyranny was a bad thing?!Regards,
Atha