Michael Wood's In the Footsteps of Alexander

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Michael Wood's In the Footsteps of Alexander

Post by jan »

I just purchased the PBS original that Michael Woods made In the Footsteps of Alexander. It also has footage of Persepolis in it, and I had seen it earlier, but the ruins as seen in Bakara made me realize the significance of the amount of destruction that was supposedly caused by Alexander.FYI, I noticed that the scene in which the Iranian is telling the story of Alexander to his children has an editorial change also. In the first version that I saw he tells the children that the soul of Alexander has gone to hell. In this version, I noticed that that phrase has been edited out.I also have preserved all the Ancient Warrior series made by The Learning Collection, TLC, Learning Channel. That includes the Huns, the Celts, the Vikings, The Spartans, The Romans, The Macedonians, The Janisarri, the Kung Fu, and the Samurai also.
elentari

Re: Michael Wood's In the Footsteps of Alexander

Post by elentari »

How stupid!How possibly could Alexander's soul go in hell?He was faultless!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I applaud your pro-Alexander stance, I really do; but to suggest that he was faultless is, I would suggest, going a little too far.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
pamm

Post by pamm »

I've seen Michael Wood's 'In the Footsteps of Alexander' and found it very one sided. Wood seems to push the opinions of Curtius while belittling those of Arrian. I must be honest, I have read Arrian and enjoyed it thoroughly but have not yet read Curtius - however it is on my very long list of books to be read about Alexander. I have heard many arguements though that Curtius was less reliable than Arrian.