A message for Oliver the Stoned!

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

karen
Hetairos (companion)

Re: A message for Oliver the Stoned!

Post by karen »

Hi Dara:I think this review made excellent points even in the ways that he said the movie sucked ;-)
...of course maybe I think they're excellent points because I agree with them all...All the best,
Karen
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Though, the review is sound, (certainly, far better than the film itself), I found the film not worth wasting that much typing time on.

Ok, you have a point. Perhaps nobody likes to just hear it sucked. Sure, we get the point, it sucked already...ok, it sucked really really really bad!...ok, we get it, it sucked. It's like a weather man telling you it's hot when you're sweating your a** off. But what can be done? (besides forcing the a** clown to watch his theatrical waste product over and over)...but I have a more humane solution...
Maybe an appropriate punishment would be Oliver, forced to wear a slaves collar around his neck, standing on the side of the road naked, while an endless parade of humanity slowly walked by...throwing garbage at him, jeering at him, and laughing at the poor unfortunate bozo. Finally, my chariot comes up to his loitering ground (where I notice a really wretched stench, and there is a tremendous amount of garbage all about the place) and I have my chance for an explanation...So, BOZO, why did you murder your king's image? Blah, Blah, Blah, I love useless controversial crap, Blah, Blah, I have a deep seated need to screw up sacred subjects, Blah, Blah...At last, as he's in the middle of some other useless verbal vomit, (and I'm rolling my eyes, wondering why I wasted a third rate slaves collar on him) Richard Burton's wife shows up and whacks his head off, thus, saving me, and the rest of the world, from EVER having to suffer another 'stoned' moment. The crowd bursts into a thunderous applause (the kind not seen since his three week movie run, gratefully, ended). Of course, I'm upset with her for denying me my right to have him scourged, mutilated, and executed (in the Hollywood style)...but I know it's for a good cause, so I reward her with Bozo's hometown (renamed to Alexandriwood). And it is good.
And now, if you'll forgive me, I have a speech to convert into verse at the end of the world...
later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
birdlover
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by birdlover »

Okay....I am now sorry I even made a comment. I am only here once in awhile, anyway. I was just trying to make a civil comment.

I didn't think it was that bad. But, I guess this film has people who liked it and people who didn't. There wasn't much in between. Thats fine with me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one is going to make them change their mind over a piece of celluloid (certainly not me). It really isn't worth it.

I have seen so many overly harsh criticism and hostility toward this film that it was nice to read some well thought out reviews now and then, like Jeanne Reames-Zimmerman's. (apparently another one who wasted a lot of typing time on hers, as well). But, my comments are not about the reviews I posted.

Well, thats it for me. I posted my 2 cents and I am out. Thanks for letting me post on this thread. I think I have done enough talking about this film so it's time to move onto other things. Theres no sense beating a dead horse. It seems everything about this film has been covered anyway. I don't have much to say anymore, at least on my end.

Dara
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Please don't be discouraged Dara. Most Pothosian's who actually liked the film - or at least found some postive aspects in it - were discouraged from posting here when the film first came out because responses sometimes deteriorated to a level of personal animosity. I'm sure there are "silent" readers who didn't know about these two reviews and appreciated the links. :-)Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I tried to read Scribbles from Purgatory but it became more like the center of the Inferno as described by Dante. Sorry, Dara, but it was a good attempt on your part to keep us informed. Had to write a new thread as well. Not enough room at the other, and while Dante does portray Alexander in a special ring in his version of the Inferno, I prefer to not look back and keep headed for Paradise.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I have to correct myself. Platoon is Oliver Stone's version of the Iliad, and Fourth of July is his Odyssey, I have learned.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Dara,
I tried a new thread but it didn't make it. I found scribbles from Purgatory but could not read it. Just have to take your word for it that it is a good review.
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Greetings Kenny,In the beginning of Gladiator when the Romans used the large cross bows and huge bolts (arrows) that were invented and used by Alexander, to me there's a connection. These were also used by the orcs at Helm's Deep. Also at Helm's Deep when the orcs breached the water channel beneath the city wall this also reminds me when Alexander did the same, without gun powder, against the city Cyropolis on the Jaxartes River. And the orcs *did* use pikes.The crude wedge formation by the king's Calvary attack in the final battle in Return of the King.But this is just me Kenny and I can completely understand your valid point.All the best,Andrew
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Hail AndrewI see the similarities exactly catepults etc. Even the tunnelling under the walls a6t Gazza. But Im sure had Alexander made the breach that is where the Macedonians would swarm.But on reflection any war tactics or battle sconarios where ever or what movie they are seen. It is more than likely there is an Alexander touch. Most tactics et were the blueprint by ALexander and even great generals following used them to this day.Take care Brother of The Sword.Kenny
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Hello Dara,
You hav no need to apologize. Oliver is the one who owes us an apology. Your comments are welcomed and appreciated. My comments were not aimed at you. The review is interesting, like I said, much more interesting than the film.
later N
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Dara Please dont get upset. Your exactly right that people differ with different points of view.I will continue to watch the movie again and again. I like watching the film and some scenes I really loved. But as a whole it was a bad movie. I must be about the only guy that Prefered the Richard Burton film. But it gets nailed for cheap scenery etc. But it was in the 50s and although Stones movie was far superior to look at the content and script was worse.Its all only opinions. So please dont get upset and bring on all you valuable opinions and debate whatever they are.Kenny
birdlover

Post by birdlover »

Thanks Linda, Nic and Kenny,

It's cool. I am not really upset about it. It's not worth it in the long run. Like I said, it's just a movie. There are other things in life to be more concerned about.

I have learned to roll with the punches. I vent every once in awhile and then I feel better. I appreciate your comments. But, overall there is just not much more to be said.

Theres will always be many things to be said about ATG himself. But, there is only so much to be said about this film. I think I am at that point now, at least here at pothos.

Thank you again,

Dara
chris

Post by chris »

HiWhat a tragic waste of a glorious opportunity to tell at least part of the Alexander story. For me, there was little right about about the film, it didn't work on any level.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

This message will probably disappear with the thread before anyone can read it, but check this out.http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/topvideo.htmAlexander is listed at 2, 3, and 7 in the top ten US DVD sales for last week! *Somebody* likes the movie and word-of-mouth certainly isn't killing it this time around - if people were just curious then they would be renting. I already predicted the film would become a cult classic one day - wonder if it will make midnight showings at the Waverly? :-)And for the record, I found the above info on Dara's forum, so thanks again Dara. Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor