Director's Commentary

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Deen

Director's Commentary

Post by Deen »

Hello,
Just got the DVD of Alexander and selected the director's commentary and listened to the first few mins.Robin Lane Fox assists Stone through the more complicated bits and gives the commentary a bit of credibility.
Will keep you posted if I learn anything new.
By the way, the eagle shots before the battle at Gaugamela was inspired by Zeus- the symbol of Zeus the eagle(amongst other symbols) and the aerial shots are quite good. Darius apparently was a young actor from Israel that Stone spotted.Best wishes,
Dean.
Ambrosia
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Director's Commentary

Post by Ambrosia »

Hello,
Is Robin Lane Fox's book on Alexander any good? I always contemplate buying it, but never do; other books catch my eye instead. As always I would love to hear what you all have to say about it.
Thanks.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Well, as you might have seen from the "New Book" thread, further down the page, there's some disagreement about it.It's a good read - I don't think anyone will dispute that. Some of the things Lane Fox says are a bit out of kilter with modern scholarship on Alexander - I've always said that it could do with an update (it is 30 years old, after all). But I think it's good, and worth buying/reading ...ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hello,I thought that the bio by Lane Fox was fine and quite a balanced account although it was some time ago that I read it. Best wishes,
Dean.
lucian
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by lucian »

Is the version you got the director's cut version, or the original theatrical release?