Eugene Borza on Stone's "Alexandar"

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

f9bob

Re: Eugene Borza on Stone's

Post by f9bob »

can you please tell me who was there pre phillipos II?
Lychnidos have been quite big and long puzzle for historians and archeologist.First have been found
a lot of graves from 5 to 2 century in Trebenista on some 5 KM from Bulgarian and Serb army.These findings are today in Belgrade and Sofia state museums.Near 100 years there are have been contraversy for people from this necropola ranging in many teories.Reason is that these people have left nothing to identifying with.No piece of word in
so many graves.Nothing exept beauteful artefacts.That have been until 2002 when have been discovered necropol on the citadel where have been foun in these graves Macedonian artefacts and with dating from 5 century.It is interesting to know that in same area of 800 metars have been found Brigian setlement with furnace and brigian necropol.
From History same area have been regarded to be from Lychnidians,Desaretes,Brigians,Encheleans-and now Macedonians.My opinion is that Philip II have a good reason to keep the border on other side of the lake with Illyrians.And the reason for that is presence of Macedonians in the area.Archeologist who have done exavations have to present in near future findings,and based on his interview,Lychnidos have been monden city of Ancient Macedonians.
stavros

Post by stavros »

firstly, i dont understand cut and paste posts, please explain your post.'Greece and Greek is unfamiliar term for time before Roman influence.It is unfamiliar term for Alexandar or PhilipII or anyone in Macedonia or Hellada in those periods'Romans were not an influence, they were rulers, as were the Greeks before the Romans.just to let you in on something. take note, Greece is the english word for modern day Ellas. It should be Hellas.the greek word Ellas translated in english is Hellas. the greek word Ellinas (greek person) is translated to Hellene, Hellenic etc.. terms that were used in ancient days are still used today in the Greek (Hellenic) language.of course Greek and Greece were unfamiliar terms before the romans and to king phillip II. just like the term slav for instance.stavros
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Borza should learn first that there were no nationalitie

Post by marcus »

I beg to differ. Of course there were nationalities and national emblems in antiquity. Even if the Greeks did not think of their peninsular as a distinct nation, the Persians were most definitely 'Persian'. The Romans had a very distinct 'nationality', so much so that they objected very strongly to giving citizenship to 'non-Romans' and therefore occasioned one of the most debilitating wars they ever had to fight, against the Italian states. All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jazz3456

Post by jazz3456 »

I bet that was an interesting and informative lecture to have attended! I myself have been quite anixous to hear or see what the academics think about Oliver Stone's film. It appears to me that finally an academic isn't being as tough and negative on Stone as most of the others are. I mean I think everyone can agree that Stone saddled himself with a tough person to make a film about. Just look at how many different versions there are out there about Alexander and his conquests it's quite confusing! From what he had to work with and the complexity of the subject he had to work with I think he did a wonderful job with the film.