Security Update

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thomas
Site Admin

Security Update

Post by Thomas »

Hi everyone, I am still getting a steady stream of human registrations for the purpose of spamming. Some recent users will have had to answer the Bucephalas question in order to have their registration approved.

My next idea is to try out a service called CloudFlare to protect (and speed up) pothos.org. It should improve page loading times and reduce the number of active spammers. this will slowly switch on over the next couple of days.

Please note that under this system you may get a challenge page before you are granted access to the site. You can still access the forum by passing the captcha.

They say:
Cloudflare wrote:"Only a small number of your forum members will see the challenge page" and that "the challenge page will appear if there are indications that their machine is infected with a computer virus or malware. The best thing to do is to run an anti-virus scan on their machine as a precaution...there are false positives with the data, but it is most common when the visitor is coming from a shared network like an office, college network or coffee shop. What this means is that although their computer isn't infected, someone else on the same network does have an issue. Your community member should run an anti-virus scan as a precaution. If there is no virus or malware, then they can enter the CAPTCHA to access the forum. The data set will refine over time."
Please make any observations, good or bad, on this thread - the change can be reversed at any time.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Security Update

Post by amyntoros »

Interesting. Haven't noticed anything different as yet - good or bad - but it's only been a day. Will let you know if anything comes up.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:Interesting. Haven't noticed anything different as yet - good or bad - but it's only been a day. Will let you know if anything comes up.

Best regards,
Same here, but thanks for the info, Thomas. Will keep and eye out, of course.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

I have noticed that it is unbelievably much quicker to load - anyone else?
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Thomas wrote:I have noticed that it is unbelievably much quicker to load - anyone else?

Initially I couldn't see a difference, but then again I have broadband so all pages usually load quickly. Today, however, I've had some problems with other sites - it happens once in a while - but not with the Pothos pages which are still loading faster than I can count. :-)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

:D :D
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
sikander
Somatophylax