POLL: Alexander map, volunteers and Ideas.

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

POLL: Alexander map, volunteers and Ideas.

Post by spitamenes »

I'm taking this poll to see if anyone would be interested in collaborating on an Alexander map for Pothos. The map would consist of having all of Alexanders known stops from Macedonia to his final stop in Babylon. The viewer will be able to click on any city or area of the Campaign trail and be able to read information about that area. The date the Army came through, who they fought, how large the forces were at that time, and any other information that would be relevant to that area. Also I would like to link it to google earth to show what the areas and battlefields look like in present day. If anyone feels they can contribute anything at all to this please let me know. If anyone has a favorite battle or seige that intrests them enough to do the area writeup on it please feel free. Or even if its just a simple idea on how to make it more interesting to the viewer. Post here and see what we can come up with! No timeframe, just something new and interesting that we can put together for pothos.

All the best!
Spitamenes
sikander
Somatophylax

Re: POLL: Alexander map, volunteers and Ideas.

Post by sikander »

Greetings Spitamenes,

If you haven't already done so, perhaps you could post a notice on the regular forum letting people know about this poll? Sometimes, people focus on the main forum and don't get around to the others as much.

I like this idea; especially the ability for being interactive, with multiple people able to contribute articles. As long as they all remember this is a school-accessed site <chuckling>. I am not much of a computer person but I AM a writer.. perhaps when the map is up, I can see if there are any places I could contribute a bit on!

Regards,
Sikander
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

sikander wrote: As long as they all remember this is a school-accessed site <chuckling>.
Yes, good call!

Spitamenes, I'll also be happy to help where I can with information, etc. I also have a lot of photos from various places that Alexander visited (excluding India), so will be able to provide quite a lot of pictures (and they're mine, so there won't be any copyright issues!). But I won't be in a position to help with any programming - I'd love to learn to use whatever software is used, but realistically I won't have time.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Sikander,
Thank you very much for offering to contribute to the map project. I think it will become a very fun and useful addition to Pothos. I have a couple ideas on how to get it all up and going, and I also have people who can help when needed. Time is my only issue, but I'm sure I can get a foundation going soon. And I will have a post in the main forum here soon.

Marcus,

That's great that you have photos we can use for a lot of the areas on the map. It'll be a big help to have your images to utilize. I thank you again and as always, you've been very generous.

Thanks guys, all the best,

Spitamenes
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Only just seen this but happy to bore the bejesus out of people with logistic/source problems; it would be a good way of showing how the army frequently split in between battles too, something other maps tend to ignore apart from Krateros avoiding Gedrosia.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I like the new avatar, Agesilaos!
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

agesilaos wrote:Only just seen this but happy to bore the bejesus out of people with logistic/source problems; it would be a good way of showing how the army frequently split in between battles too, something other maps tend to ignore apart from Krateros avoiding Gedrosia.
Agesilaos, thanks for the suggestion. And your right, I've seen many Alexander maps and its almost always one single trail from start to finish, I do believe a have a few more detailed maps showing the separations during the campaign and I will definately be using them as references when we get this new map going. If you have anything else you'd like to share please do! Thank you for your Idea, it will definately be used in the project.
All the best,
Spitamenes