alexander map.

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

alexander map.

Post by spitamenes »

I will be the first to admit that I am not the most computer savvy person around. So with that said, if this sounds ridiculus then my apologies for wasting a couple minutes of everyones day. As a suggestion, I think it would be really interesting to have a spot on Pothos that has a Map of Alexanders empire. Then, you could click on any area of the campaign trail and it would tell you the date he came through that area, what he was doling there, and who he was fighting. You could click on cities and it could tell you all the information about the city specified. It could even have current pictures of the area. Or link it to google earth and have an overview of the terrain and what it looks like today. There's a lot of possibilities. Any thoughts on what else could be added to a page like this? I just think it would be a fun way for people to easily learn about Alexanders campaign.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: alexander map.

Post by marcus »

spitamenes wrote:I will be the first to admit that I am not the most computer savvy person around. So with that said, if this sounds ridiculus then my apologies for wasting a couple minutes of everyones day. As a suggestion, I think it would be really interesting to have a spot on Pothos that has a Map of Alexanders empire. Then, you could click on any area of the campaign trail and it would tell you the date he came through that area, what he was doling there, and who he was fighting. You could click on cities and it could tell you all the information about the city specified. It could even have current pictures of the area. Or link it to google earth and have an overview of the terrain and what it looks like today. There's a lot of possibilities. Any thoughts on what else could be added to a page like this? I just think it would be a fun way for people to easily learn about Alexanders campaign.
It is a nice idea. Technically, I'm sure it can be done - well, it can! However, there are some issues:

(1) someone has to produce it!
(2) it has to work!
(3) this all takes time - certainly I don't have the technical expertise, so I won't be volunteering.

But I assume you mean like these (especially the first on)?:

http://explorethemed.com/Alexander.asp

http://www.bible-history.com/maps/map-a ... great.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MacedonEmpire.jpg

http://www.fsmitha.com/h1/map13al.htm

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Marcus,
Yes! The first link is a lot like what I was thinking. But with Dates, details and the google earth idea would be pretty cool. Ill try to whip up a prototype and let you take a look at it. That map in your link shows Alexander going right through Jerusalem. Isn't that just a myth? Or is that something that's argued over on a legitamate level? Thanks for the input! ...
All the best... Spitamenes
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

spitamenes wrote:Marcus,
Yes! The first link is a lot like what I was thinking. But with Dates, details and the google earth idea would be pretty cool. Ill try to whip up a prototype and let you take a look at it. That map in your link shows Alexander going right through Jerusalem. Isn't that just a myth? Or is that something that's argued over on a legitamate level? Thanks for the input! ...
All the best... Spitamenes
You're right that we don't have evidence, outside Josephus, that Alexander went to Jerusalem. Lack of mention in the sources doesn't mean that he didn't, of course - perhaps he took a day trip during the siege of Gaza.

I think the route goes through Jerusalem on that map because of the scale. I confess I didn't look at it very carefully.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

Spitamenes, do you have the expertise to do a map like this? I thought your idea was excellent.
We might have some Pothosians who have those skills; perhaps a collaborative effort would make it feasible?
Perhaps you could poll the members and see who has the skills to create and maintain such an interactive map?

Regards,
Sikander
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Sikander,

Thank you for the good words. I at least have enough knowledge to get a foundation going and I can find help when its needed. Ill take a poll here on pothos soon to see if anyone has expertise to help accomplish this project. Even just some ideas here and there would be helpful. I have many ideas on what could be put into the project, so I'm going to take the day to brainstorm and sort out everything that's rattling around in my head. Maybe we could have a set a criteria for what kind of information each city and~or area needs and different Pothosians could write the information for what city or cities theyde like to write about, and then submit it for the project. it could be a "work in progress" kind of page where if someone sees an area that is lacking then they could submit information about the area. Ill be posting shortly with a poll and some more Ideas. Thanks for the input guys.

All the best,
Spitamenes
Ambit_Energy

Post by Ambit_Energy »

I hope that will do.... Very keen to know everything about Alexander.