SPLIT TOPIC: How notifications work in this forum

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

SPLIT TOPIC: How notifications work in this forum

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcus
Somatophylax

Weird stuff

Post by marcus »

Hi Andrew,

No, I was not notified. What's even more bizarre is that fact that I didn't ask to be notified ... so you obviously received the notification because the system was dying to tell someone, and I didn't want to know!

With respect to Amyntoros, I think that's something for Thomas to rectify.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

beausefaless wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but were you not promoted to monitor status by our fearless leader Thomas the Great? If so that means you should have some editing rights? Oh, and by the way congratulations! Anyhow, is there a way this scenario can be rectified?
Thanks for the congratulations, Andrew. Hopefully I will do a good job. :)

Marcus is right - this is something that needs Thomas' attention. I'm sure he'll do whatever he can as soon as he is next online. Can't quite figure out how it happened though. I stopped asking to be informed by email when there's a new response because I check the forum frequently, but I do believe that you will get notification of any new post in a thread, even if it is not in response to your own. However, as you hadn't previously posted in this particular thread I have no idea why you were notified! Perhaps the software has a secret agenda?

All the best,
Last edited by amyntoros on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Another poll idea

Post by karen »

"What time zone are you in?"

A comment from one of our down-under denizens brought this to mind...

From Eastern Daylight Time,
Karen
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Weird stuff

Post by beausefaless »

nothing but horse shit!
Last edited by beausefaless on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
Site Admin

Notifications

Post by Thomas »

I think that it is quite "clever" on notifications. I don't think it sends more than one email if there are a lot of posts in a shor time on the same topic, since you would get a clogged up inbox.

Below this posting box there is that check box "Notify me when a reply is posted". I don't think that it only sends emails for replies to individual posts, I think it applies to the whole thread.

But, do I understand that it sends notifications for topics you have never posted in? If so, please give me some examples and I will root around tonight.

I am not sure exactly what you are experiencing, but it might just be the forum doing what it is supposed to - I got very frustrated when first using it because it never sent an email when I replied to my own posts when testing. Then I realised it was more intelligent than me and had worked out that if I wasreplying to my own post I would not need notification! :P
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
Site Admin

I have checked in the database

Post by Thomas »

As far as I can tell from the database, you should be receiving no notifications at all.

Can you forward any you get to webmaster-at-pothos-dot-co-uk?

Thanks - I like a challenge.
Thomas
Aymez loyaulté
Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: SPLIT TOPIC: How notifications work in this forum

Post by Asander »

I'm new to this forum but... no offense, why the posts are not submited in the moment when I press the button? Why it's necessary a approval who come after two days? For example, because I don't know english very well, I have edited two words from my post. And... suprprise, now I'm supposed to wait for the approval...again.

It is the first forum where I encounter this rule.
Never give up