The future of pothos.org

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thomas
Site Admin

The future of pothos.org

Post by Thomas »

It is the time of year again when I need to renew the web space. It costs $120.Another year has gone by when I hardly remember the site exists and only trouble shoot and maintain it.I wonder what to do with the site. Sell it on ebay? But how would I guarantee it would remain an Alexander site?This has never been a money making enterprise! I get over 10,000 page impressions a month with 1000 loyal and returning visitors. There are also another 9,000 who come and go. These values are small beer on the internet and the amazon links net about $20 a year.Any ideas anyone? If everyone who uses the site regularly sent me $1 with PayPal it would pay for the site for 10 years!Thomas
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: The future of pothos.org

Post by marcus »

Please don't sell it, Thomas! I'd hate to think that Pothos might fall into unscrupulous, undeserving hands!I can't stump up the full $120 - not least as I am a poverty-stricken student at the moment - but of course I am willing to make a donation to keep Pothos running in its current format. I hope others will feel inclined to do the same.All the bestMarcus
jan

Post by jan »

Well, I hope that we can keep it going too. However, practically speaking, is this online banking? I never use the internet for monies yet, but will maybe get online banking if my password is really protected. Or is there an address as a collection site for the buck? I can contribute a buck, and I don't think $120 is a bad figure at all. (My former address apartment number!)
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Okay, I've contributed the amount I was intending to spend on a book about Alexander's time. I figure, if Pothos was to go down or be sold into less amenable hands then where would I go to discuss Alexander or the books I buy? :-)This site is well worth a small annual investment, IMO.Best regards,Amyntoros
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Sadly it does involve giving a credit card number over the internet. If you are unhappy to do that then no amount of reassurance will help you I guess.But millions of transactions go ahead with no problems every day, and if you use a credit card rather than a debit card then if there is a fraud you can claim it all back.I think that sending an encrypted number in all the trillions of bits of information is much safer than giving the waiter your credit card at a restaurant!Thanks for even considering donating. You can email me on webmaster[at]pothos.org if you want my address.
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

thank you - if everyone gave that amount pothos would be sorted for a lot more than 10 years... The fighting fund has lift off!
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chriso

Post by chriso »

HiMore than happy to pay -ú10 towards fund - I visit the site infrequently these days but it gives a lot of pleasure, and experts provide opinions without reward.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Count me in for $10 Cdn. I don't post much, but this site has been tremendously useful for me.Come on, O pothoi! Alexander was generous; give in that spirit.Warmly,
Karen
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hello,
I have to chime in. Though I have mainly been passive over the last months, I have to say that this site is one of the most useful resources I came across for my doctor's thesis on Alexander.
And because this thesis is far from being done and I will still need this site in the future, I just contributed my little share to the fund. Of couse, in case you need more, I'd be willing to inflate the donation.
Thanks for all the work you've been putting into the site,
Shaun/Glaukias
P.S.: I somehow messed up my account names I guess, but I am kinda sure I used to post as Glaukias.
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Am I right in thinking that you are doing teacher training? How is it going? I am loving being back in school. Should never have left!
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hello,Count me in matie!!!
Over the weekend I will do the biz.
Best regards,
Dean.