READ THIS: pothos - the next generation site...

Please post here if you have any constructive comments, support requests or queries about pothos.org itself.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thomas
Site Admin

READ THIS: pothos - the next generation site...

Post by Thomas »

There seems to be confusion about the link I posted last night. Let me be clear: We are NOT going to move to that site any day soon!Clear enough?But I thought we had a community here! I want to involve you in how the new site shapes up. The important thing with "pothos2005" as I am thinking of it is that I do not have to write the code and maintain it. It is also WAY more powerful than anything I have the time to develop. I have two kids and a full time job as many of you know.I will not consider moving to the new site until: - It looks right (orange/blue/white) - It has all the content in place (it has none at the moment) - It roughly feels like the current site (though there will be so much more we can do with it that will be difficult) - The core pothos'ites are happy to move As I said in another posting though, one thing is for sure, we will move one day, if only because everything has fallen apart on this site through old age.What you see is a generic "out of the box" solution that I have not done any configuration on. I would have thought that would be obvious by the awful green and weird graphics. (Plus the complete lack of content!). That look is just one of the looks available. If you register, you can change the theme you use through the "Your Account" link - why not have a look through and report back in the new forum which look you like best - I can then modify it to our colours.Please ONLY make comments about the new site in the new forum - we've got to start somewhere (and that one should email you when someone replies - if it doesn't - tell me in the forum): http://www.pothos.org/atg/modules.php?n ... wforum&f=2 Thomas(36 today so be nice to me - just about to take the kids out for the day and expect some constructive and friendly comments when I get back!)
stavros

change is good, all the best with it?

Post by stavros »

change is good. cheers
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Re: READ THIS: pothos - the next generation site...

Post by beausefaless »

Thomas,I apologize if my criticism came across too harsh. If you don't speak up about something you have and the same right of a system your about to lose I will only be free to do what the powers that be want me to do. I will admit your response did not have the sweet smell of persimmons either. But this is your forum and I'm sorry for causing you any discomfort.All the best, Andrew
chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by chris »

Hi ThomasThe site looks fine to me, and thanks for your efforts.Chris
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

OK, now I've actually looked at it I will comment just to say it looks a little 'busy'. Kind of a lot of stuff there to take in. I think 'simple' might be better (I do like the old current site best).
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Are you too old and too tired?

Post by beausefaless »

Thomas,Have you ever considered passing on the torch? If so, how much cost..(money) would be in- evolved, on a monthly bases?I've noticed your lack of participation in the last year a half and I also noticed when anyone ask you a question on ATG their ignored, there are very qualified personal, Susan H., Ruth K., Karl, Nicator, just to name a few are very knowledgeable on ATG. You don't need to be an Aristotle to run a web page. Just a thought....
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Are you too old and too tired?

Post by Linda »

AndrewYou are free to go and set up your own forum, if you like. That's "free" as in "at liberty to", or "no-one is stopping you". This forum is "free", but it is not anyone's "right" to be part of it, or to say how it is run. Thomas makes it available, and others contribute. As far as I know it is not your constitutional right as an American, or world citizen to have this forum provided for you.Linda (Already regretting this)
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

Hey - I might be too old and tired. Who knows? And I am certainly no expert on ATG compared to many people who frequent the forum. I leave ATG answers to them.You are right that I do participate infrequently though. There are many reasons for this which I will not go in to now. If people need to contact me they do so through the webmaster email address (though realising that was not working has been the catalyst for my re-appearence in the forum).As for "handing on the torch" - part of the reason for moving to a new site is to make the site more generic and easy for me (or anyone else with rights) to maintain. But I also like the ability for regular users to discuss articles and post news, the ability to attach polls to articles and it can manage newsletters etc. This would all take weeks and weeks for me to code manually in my spare time.As for the financials? I just managed to lower the cost of hosting somewhat and it is just about covered by the PayPal donations and amazon purchases. This is not because I get a lot of money through amazon, but because there are relatively few users of the site and the bandwidth used is not that great. Bandwidth is what costs money.
Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Thomas »

AndrewI don't mind criticism - it was the TONE.Reasonable comments and suggestions are always more appropriate and more likely to be listened to.I'm glad you enjoy the forum - I just hope that a new site will be better and give you even more...Thomas
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

You mentioned it would be best if you and I avoided each other and I honored your thought until now, it appears to me my thread was more than you can handle. I respectfully disagree, if this forum is free I do have the right to use it and make suggestions in this forum just as the censors have the right to delete any of my post's. You did not deserve my horrible statement in the past, for that I will always apologize. All the best.