The Casket Copy!!

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

The Casket Copy!!

Post by smittysmitty »

Hi all,
Plutarch states ATG regarded his copy of the Illiad as a handbook of the art of war! He goes on to say that Aristotle had annotated his copy for him. What sort of annotations do you think Aristotle was qualified in, to include into ATG's copy? Surely Aristotle was no General.
Thanks to anyone that may respond.
Cheers!
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Re: The Casket Copy!!

Post by Linda »

I think it was more that Aristotle wanted Alexander to have the "correct" version. Presumably there were different versions. Linda
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

hi Linda,
interesting, I never thought of it in that manner. That potentially, there were a number of versions of the Illiad, and Aristotal put together the correct version of it for him.hmmmm, I'm still under the impression all he did was to include some additional footnotes but on what?thanks for your response Linda :)cheers!
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

My understanding is that there were indeed different versions of the Iliad, but by that time they were settled to a "final/official" version. Homer's Iliad was written in the 8th century BC but it's not clear if it's his original work or he had put together older versions (or even if he's a fictional character or not himself!).
So Aristotle must have added his remarks on various chapters of the book on the heroes behavior, on morality etc.
deerosado

Post by deerosado »

Wow, this is an old post but I just came across it and wanted to add that I, personally, do not believe the Iliad was used as a war guide. Rather, it was a sacred text and ATG was a pupil of Aristotle. ATG himself believed he was descended from the "gods." Would love to get my hands on the casket copy!!