Armenian Alexander Romance translation

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Alexias
Strategos (general)

Armenian Alexander Romance translation

Post by Alexias »

Either I had forgotten or I didn't know there is a translation of the Pseudo-Callisthenes Alexander Romance from Armenia available here http://www.attalus.org/armenian/Tales_A ... _trans.pdf.

Also see here http://www.attalus.org/info/alexander.html
Yak_NN

Re: Armenian Alexander Romance translation

Post by Yak_NN »

Now that's one hell of a find, you don't get to see something that great for free every day. Plus, it's interesting that some of the tales went through Armenia, the civilization's much older than one would think when looking at a small post-Soviet republic in the mountains...
Anyways, I happen to learn Armenian as well since I have to work a lot with clients from the Caucasus region these days (well, and my wife's half Armenian, so this helps in terms of motivation and learning efficiency :mrgreen: ) so this is like if you found oil when digging in a gold mine.
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

I am glad you found it helpful! We tend to forget about Armenia because their glory days were a bit late for classical history and a bit far away from the stories we tell about medieval and modern history, and because so many of them ended up living in other countries (remember when Cilicia was Lesser Armenia?) But the Persians, or the people living in the eastern parts of the Roman empire, or people in the North Caucasus wanting to raid south never forgot them!

Until the 19th century, more people knew Alexander through the Romance than through the 'good' sources.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

'Tis a mrvellous resource Attalus.org. Everything from sources in translation, to indexes by name and Athenian inscriptions!
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu