Timing of Alexander’s plans for Arabian campaign

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Timing of Alexander’s plans for Arabian campaign

Post by delos13 »

As we know Alexander died in the beginning of June when the army was about to embark on the Arabian campaign. Had he not died, June 10th (or plus a few days) might have been remembered as the day when Alexander and the army left Babylon for yet another successful enterprise.
I was always puzzled by such a choice of timing. Alexander planned to start the conquest of one of the hottest areas on earth at the beginning of the hottest period of the year. What possibly could have been the reason? Why not wait till end of September – October when sun is not scorching hot at +50 C? As a side note, I am aware of the opinion that at Alexander’s time the areas were not as hot as they were today but I don’t think the difference was that much.
Was it possible that the start of the Arabian campaign was planned for the beginning of spring 323 but Hephaistion’s death shifted this time table and Alexander didn’t want to wait almost another year? Did this unfavorable timing for the troops on the ground have something to do with the direction of winds/current being most favorable for the fleet led by Nearchos?

I would appreciate if members of Pothos can share their knowledge/opinion on the matter.

Happy New Year to everybody!
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Timing of Alexander’s plans for Arabian campaign

Post by Alexias »

I don't think Alexander would have planned on conquering the interior. He would have been concentrating on the west coast of the Persian Gulf with an aim to controlling trade, and opening up the route to India. He'd already done the east coast on the march back from India.
delos13

Post by delos13 »

Even along the Gulf - it is extremely hot during the summer months.

I do realize I am asking to speculate, because no detailed plans of the intended expedition survived (am I right?). I tried to figure out what was known about Arabia at the time. This is where this very recent website came handy - http://topostext.org. However, I do realize that those are the sources that survived to our days, I think a bit more was known, especially since all the texts in the website above are the Greek ones but Alexander was able to benefit from the knowledge that Persian kings (and those before them) collected.

In any case, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think Alexander intended to circumnavigate (both by sea and land) the whole peninsula and end in some part of Egypt. Now I am thinking that maybe he intentionally started in the hottest months of the year, while the strength and goodwill of the troops were at its peak so that as they advance, the weather became more merciful and hence less challenging.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I'm not so certain he was departing in June. The fleet was exercising and the the new phalanx formations were being formed and, one suspects, drilled. Meanwhile Alexander was binging and 'partying'. The reason would be that he was awaiting the "army from Macedon" which Antipatros was to bring replacing those demobbed home at Opis. The campaign would not start until that army was in place and probably at summer's end.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
delos13

Post by delos13 »

Paralus wrote:I'm not so certain he was departing in June. The fleet was exercising and the the new phalanx formations were being formed and, one suspects, drilled. Meanwhile Alexander was binging and 'partying'. The reason would be that he was awaiting the "army from Macedon" which Antipatros was to bring replacing those demobbed home at Opis. The campaign would not start until that army was in place and probably at summer's end.
Oh, interesting.... I always assumed that the fateful party during which he fell ill was a farewell party for Nearchos departing with fleet. Do you mean Nearchos wasn't leaving on the voyage to Arabia but just to have some marine exercises in Persian Gulf? I was also under the impression that Antipatros didn't intend to leave Macedon at all, this is why he sent Cassandros instead to Babylon who was there during Alexander's death (or already left a short period before).

However, if Alexander's intention was to leave for Arabia in September it makes more sense.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Nearchus may have been leaving in June to take advantage of the summer monsoon (June- Sept), when (I think) the prevailing winds blow from the northwest down the Persian Gulf.