The excavation of Amphipolis continues

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

The excavation of Amphipolis continues

Post by system1988 »

http://www.avgi.gr/article/10966/774393 ... -amphipole

It's in greek, long story short 2.000.000 million euros have been sent to finish the dig.

English text here but you have to search for it a bit

https://www.facebook.com/amphipolis.tom ... =hovercard
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Re: The excavation of Amphipolis continues

Post by Xenophon »

Many thanks for posting this news, Pauline :)

Unfortunately, the project is limited to much needed conservation rather than 'continuing' excavations, or extending the site.
""The project will be the finalization of the tomb, the restoration of the burial monument of the enclosure and general maintenance and promotion of the site" L. Koniordou said.

And of the total amount referred to in the article, which is for archaeology projects as a whole, Amphipolis will get "..... a proposal with a budget of 1 million Euros For Amphipolis" ( between 2016 and 2020) and now the call is expected from the Region of Central Macedonia. "The project will be the finalization of the tomb, the restoration of the burial monument of the enclosure and general maintenance and promotion of the site" L. Koniordou said.
" The project, which is in the final phase of approval, referred to fixing inside the tomb, the construction of routes to access the site, like the entire ancient city of Amphipolis, the renovation of the old school, to create an information center, and a venue of events and lectures".

A million Euros will not go terribly far in achieving even this modest aim. Still, it is good to see that the site - in grave danger of deteriorating - will benefit from urgent preservation work......
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Fresh from FB:

From the page Amphipolis Tomb Discovery https://www.facebook.com/amphipolis.tom ... GAOy-Ab6cw

What seems as a second entrance being visible under special lighting where it was hypothesized long ago. It is exactly at the L2 point of the tomography by Polymenakos.

"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Do we know if they are actually excavating this?

Am I being dense, but which is the outline of the entrance, the white marks, or what looks like a hole to the left of the white curve (which seems to have a straight line running horizontally from it)? The white marks seem to be a circular embossment.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

It's the white curves.

to system1988: Did you receive my reply? It isn't showing on my sent messages, only in the outbox.
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
gepd
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by gepd »

day.jpg
day.jpg (191.64 KiB) Viewed 7069 times
That is the same location in daylight.

For me, the night photo shows nothing more than just different reflection from exposed soil and soil with vegetation. It is just a false perception of a flat surface with an "arc"-like feature. Perception of flatness comes from the high-contrast between dark and bright patches in the night photo, but the day photo shows no flatness at all. Overall, it is just a pareidolia from vegetation blocking reflection from the brighter soil + enhanced by low quality night photo.

That proves nothing about the existence or non existence of a buried structure there. It just indicates that the night photo is a proof for nothing.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Thank you very much, gped. That photo makes a lot more sense. That could be a perfectly natural landslip, but I can see why it might be thought to conceal a tunnel entrance.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

I'd like to go there and take high resolution, long exposure night images with my DSLR camera, to see what is there to see. At some point I'd like to go, since I've never visited this area, granted you can still go up to the barrier, and nothing has changed since this event. But in any case I also have a zoom lens.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Meanwhile, there is a small interview with mr. Tsokas who did the 3D tomography at Casta, and talks about two points of interest that have to be excavated, one 20m west of the sphinxes' entrance, and another one at the West, Northwest. He also commented on the hypothesized second entrance from the FB page, that of course these rumors have no scientific value. Furthermore, he pointed out that the results of the Polymenakos tomography of Casta were vague, and there was noise. In an image that accompanies this interview, we can see the two points, A and B, that are the points of interest. I am not putting it here because it is under copyright, so I only include the link to the interview.
The W NW point is around where the hypothetical second entrance is thought to be.
Each can make their own coclusions.

http://www.thousandnews.gr/perissotera/ ... foto-video
Jeanne Reames

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Thanks for the update. Hope to be back in Macedonia in May, although probably won't get here. Hoping to do lowland and some highland museums and other tombs. I know Lefkadia takes an appointment.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Well, I hope you are fortunate enough to get there.......in which case take copious notes and photos, so you may share and enlighten us all upon your return ! :D
Jeanne Reames

Post by Jeanne Reames »

I'll do my best. Amphipolis isn't on my list, but if we can get there, we will, even if just to see the outside. My chief research interest is different, however.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html