Alexander's death: symptoms of sunstroke in that Babylon palace

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Susa the Great
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Alexander's death: symptoms of sunstroke in that Babylon palace

Post by Susa the Great »

Hi

Ok, I am hanging around here, and reading posts, new and old. And the memory of one old reply to a post has striken me, a post which was about Alex's death (the original post has been deleted after the site has been updated, back in the middle of the 2000's). I remembered this guy said he was in the US army, and that he has seen people falling ill with those stroke symptoms, and that he believed that Alexander died of a severe heatstroke in Babylon.

I did some quick researching today, and well... The symptoms of a heatstroke, and the description of Alex's agony, they match after all.

And the fact that he was in Babylon, and that the date is June - summer -, makes it IMO a hell of a good point! And the carousals he was into during that period of time (oh, he should have kept Hephaistion's mourning longer!)... drinking lotsa wine and god-knows-what-else... Bad for an already hurt self...

Any thoughts?

Rgds
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Alexander's death: symptoms of sunstroke in that Babylon palace

Post by system1988 »

Hi Susa.
I think this is an interesting hypothesis,but a little improbable. After all during his military carrier he must have seen hundrends of soldiers suffering of heatstroke and eventully die.So he must have protected himself .And i remember a hat story or not?
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει