The Sphinxes Guarding the Lion Tomb Entrance at Amphipolis

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

gepd
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: The Sphinxes Guarding the Lion Tomb Entrance at Amphipol

Post by gepd »

Some photos of the excavation and reconstruction of the Amphipolis lion can be seen at the end of this article:

http://www.xronometro.com/amfipolis-sparagmata/

The author of the article questions the statements regarding the lion being originally at the top of the Kastas hill, since as it appears from the photos and the reports of the lion excavation, something that looks like a base appears to be colocated with the site of the lion's ruins.
gepd

Post by gepd »

Update here http://www.yppo.gr/2/g22.jsp?obj_id=58312 with lots of new findings

Callisto

Post by Callisto »

Here is a relevant article in English:

http://en.protothema.gr/amazing-new-fin ... -the-tomb/

The combination of Caryatids and sphinxes reminds me of the Siphnian treasury at Delphi.
Attachments
thisauros _sifnion.jpg
thisauros _sifnion.jpg (232.69 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

The Caryatids are a truly spectacular find. The fact that we now have a second pair of sculpted female guardians is of course boosting the case for this being the tomb of an important queen. The new rosette is also interesting - it's looking as though a rosette is a badge of the occupant and I recall that the larnax of Philip II had such rosettes. Olympias 50%; Roxane 20% :)
I posted an article under "drafts" yesterday on my academia.edu pages making the case for Olympias and Roxane: it is also being carried by at least one news site. It can be found here https://independent.academia.edu/AndrewChugg/
Best wishes,
Andrew
Caryatid
Caryatid
amphipolis45.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
Rosette
Rosette
amphipolis46.jpg (57.57 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Callisto wrote:Here is a relevant article in English:

http://en.protothema.gr/amazing-new-fin ... -the-tomb/

The combination of Caryatids and sphinxes reminds me of the Siphnian treasury at Delphi.
Latsis Foundation , Museum of Delphi, p. 333 ( for the basket on the head, plus p. 99 but much earlier )
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
gepd

Post by gepd »

Here is a photo which is not part of the official release. It comes from a journalist (Anna Panagiotarea) who apparently, thanks to her connections, she is continuously present at the excavation and somehow coordinates press activities... The photo is posted in ther facebook profile (https://www.facebook.com/annapanagiotarea), too bad I have to look at such releases with all her other postings, because I find her really annoying. The photo is very nice, however... :D

Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

After the Sphinxes now Karyatides are guarding the tomb too. But such a large tomb for Olympias alone? Olympias was allegedly left unburied for some time by Cassander and her tomb is said to be at Pydna near Thessaloniki. Of course in light of the Amphipolis tomb that scenario may change. There is something else too. Andronikos believed that the tomb of Alexander the 4th and Roxanne was at the royal tombs of Vergina, but Amphipolis' tomb and the sheer size of it changes this theory. Of course only the findings will reveal who is there.
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
gepd

Post by gepd »

There is also a statement from a ministry official that the room behind the 3rd dividing wall, appears to lead to another dividing wall which also has a gap. Access there is still very difficult
gepd

Post by gepd »

Are there maybe parallels with the forum of Octavian? E.g. see a reconstruction here:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/enc ... atids.html

See also this:

http://www.ancientcoins.ca/RIC/RIC1/Augustus/RIC492.jpg

and this:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/mharrsch/8453196843/
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Sticking my head above the parapet again, but if the caryatids mean this is a woman's tomb, what about Thessalonice (and perhaps her sons)?
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Nothing actually demonstrates this is a woman's tomb, and the three chambers suggest that this is not a single burial, Thessalonike's tomb has been putatively identified.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Nikas

Post by Nikas »

agesilaos wrote:We call the 9th century AD people Slavs, rather than slaves (douloi), I know you won't take the correction the wrong way; yes, and there are the Ostrogoths in the fifth century and the Bulgars, They were probably not as destructive as the so-called civilised peoples make out, though, the Vandals were certainly capable of high art, the Visigothic sack of Rome was more of an organised tithe, and the Empire was saved by Stilicho, a Vandal, and continued with more tolerance by Odoacer , a Rugian and particularly Theodoric the Ostrogoth (though he did murder Odoacer in a church during a truce prompting some of my favourite dying words, 'Ubi Deus?' - 'Where is God!?') The problem is this supposed 2nd Century date, I can see it being a reporting error of AD for BC, the press seem to be guilty of much distortion and the archaeologists not forthcoming; which is probably best until there is some real evidence. Maybe we should have a poll beforehand, I think Taphoi will have to set it as he started the thread, it will have to cover quite a broad range though, maybe if we ask Marcus or Amyntoros nicely they can mergethe two threads and start a poll :wink: I will give my list of options if anyone can think of others post and I feel sure those who look on high can accomodate NB this is for the occupant(s) not the desecrators:

1] empty tomb intended for Perdikkas' burial of Alexander
2] Roxane
3] Niarchos
4] Polyperchon
5] Kassandros
6] Olympias
7] Leonnatos
8] Antipatros
9] Herakles
10] Alexander IV
11] Alexander V
!2] Sostratos
13] Lysimachos
14] Polysperchon
15] The Antigonid Dynasty

That's it from me but there are plenty more ... don't forget if it ain't on the list you won't be able to vote for it :shock:
How secure is the dating of the tomb from what is known so far? Do the architectural elements also carry forward to say circa second-century BC? Is it certain it is a female occupant? Wild speculation but there is another potential royal candidate:

Philip V. died at Amphipolis towards the end of B.C. 179. His last days were embittered by remorse for the death of his son Demetrius, whose innocence had been demonstrated to him. He wished to leave his crown to Antigonus, the son of Echecrates and nephew of Antigonus Doson, in order to punish his elder son Perseus for his treachery in securing his brother's death. But Philip died suddenly before this could be secured, and Perseus succeeded him without opposition. See Livy, 40, 55-57.
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

Is it me or the figures at the top of the sphinxes look like Caryatids?
Attachments
throne_eurydice.jpg
throne_eurydice.jpg (212.13 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Yes miniature sized.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

The dating of the tomb is 325-300 b.c from the data that they have so far. So originally it's a tomb for someone from that era.
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.