The impending doom of the approaching mole

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

The impending doom of the approaching mole

Post by Nicator »

Hello fellow pothosians...It's easy enough to imagine how unnerving it must have been to have this land mass arm growing closer every day...just knowing that soon it will be at your front door bringing an almost certain doom. Is there a source which cites specifically the apprehension caused by the approaching mole from the Tyrians viewpoint?
later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
susan
Somatophylax

Re: The impending doom of the approaching mole

Post by susan »

I don't think there were many survivors on the Tyrian side who were in a position to write their account...There must have been Persian royal archives but I expect that these went up in flames at the burning of Persepolis.Susan
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Curtius has the most on the Tyrian reactions including several internal psychological statements. It is a moot point whether he had any source for his story other than his own imagination ,however it is broadly similar to Arrian's account and reads as a fuller version than Arrian which does not read as logically to me; the main assault being launched from two ships for instance. Curtius account starts atIV 2
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Many Tyrians escaped during the siege to Cartaghe and after Tyre falling many escaped to other cities (mostly Sydon) on the ships. But no story written by Tyre citisens survived or it never was written.
Tre

Post by Tre »

Hello Nick!Good to hear from you.Basically it boils down to this. The Tyrians must have known it was either all or nothing. With the killing of the heralds and pouring boiling sand and excrement on Alexander's troops when they got too close..let's just say Alexander would have had the pleasure of watching his men die slowly from untreatable wounds and he returned the favor with mass crucifixions, i.e. slow death on their part. I doubt the Tyrians expected better than what they got when they lost. Now one could question considering their belligerant behavior at first if they ever thought it was possible to lose and certainly watching the mole come closer day by day would have made them more determined not to lose at any cost.But that attitude reaped bitter fruit, particularly for the women and children who did not choose their fate.Regards,Tre