Alexander in Exile

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Alexander in Exile

Post by Nicator »

Greetings All,The thought naturally occured to me that while in exile Alexander must have trained fervantly in the military and martial arts. He may have used this time to great advantage before being recalled to hone his skills and learn new ones. The alternative is that he lived the veritable life of luxury and leisure at his hosts expense...not likely, considering his ambitious nature. Any comments...
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
luc
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexander in Exile

Post by luc »

I doubt that Alexander even slept well, considering the threat of his father being not so "welcoming" to him, and the whole threat of possible rivals to the throne, possibly even assassination. As for Alexander training, I have no doubt on that. Alexander never really sat idle, and he must have been a good guest, respectful at least.Luc
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I believe it was recorded and well-known that he provided a lot of cultural activity as well as sports events for himself and his men. He had actors come to perform, and regularly held games.
Much in the same way that entertainment is provided for overseas troops today.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Quite an interesting question, Ruth.All the records of games and theatrical events are those that are connected with religious festivals - whether standard ones, or those held in honour of the gods after a particular victory.What we don't have any information on, is what other entertainments might or might not have been provided outside the religious. There is plenty of information on Greek recreational activity, and we can bet that the army spent a lot of downtime at training. Whether Alexander himself provided any amusements that were not religious (apart from the amusement to be had from his prancing around in Persian clothes, of course) is not known.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK