Alexander the Great Louvre Museum Exhibition

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Alexander the Great Louvre Museum Exhibition

Post by system1988 »

Hi all!

I don't know whether or not any of you know this yet but I recently learned that there will be an opening of a huge Alexander exhibition on the Louvre the October to come titled: "Inside Alexander the Great's kingdom - The ancient Macedonia". :D

The exhibition will be open from October 13th 2011 to January 16th 2012 and will host almost a thousand works of art that display the history of ancient Macedonia from the 15th century BC to the early Roman era. Most of the artifacts come from the 16th and 17th Prohestoric and Classical departmens of Greece.

Still I don't know if the exhibition is the same as the one held in Oxford earlier this year. :?

Best regards to all!
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Alexander the Great Louvre Museum Exhibition

Post by marcus »

system1988 wrote:Hi all!

I don't know whether or not any of you know this yet but I recently learned that there will be an opening of a huge Alexander exhibition on the Louvre the October to come titled: "Inside Alexander the Great's kingdom - The ancient Macedonia". :D

The exhibition will be open from October 13th 2011 to January 16th 2012 and will host almost a thousand works of art that display the history of ancient Macedonia from the 15th century BC to the early Roman era. Most of the artifacts come from the 16th and 17th Prohestoric and Classical departmens of Greece.

Still I don't know if the exhibition is the same as the one held in Oxford earlier this year. :?

Best regards to all!
Thanks for this info. If the artefacts range from such a wide chronology I would say that it clearly isn't the same exhibition that was in Oxford this year. However, the exhibits dealing with the 4th century might well be - perhaps the Louvre is supplementing the "Oxford" exhibition with other stuff? We should keep an eye on it - I might be able to get to Paris for a day or two in October, cash permitting!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Alexander the Great Louvre Museum Exhibition

Post by jan »

I hope to see this during holiday season. I am using the portrait that caught my attention at the Louvre as wallpaper on my computer and as profile pic on Facebook. Judgement at thebes.