Gedrosian desert!

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Gedrosian desert!

Post by jan »

I believe that Alexander knew about previous histories from Xenophon and the Ten Thousand, and now Cyrus and Semiramis, as these were pretty fundamentally as well known to his generation as is the histories of in the USA George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, in Europe, sorry, I do not know who is celebrated in England besides Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, Queen Victoria, etc. but the idea is that he knew the legends of previous men who had won fame and recognition, and so he could not resist the challenge to add his own name to that lustre of stars. Simple! He wanted to one of the gods also...He obviously made it since he is so well decorated today with books, movies, magazine articles, and scurrilous and cynical cartoons also!
JerryHicks

Re: Gedrosian desert!

Post by JerryHicks »

Hello to all. I am new to the discussion forum but have read as a guest for some time. This a bit off the subject and I apologize but I am wondering if there have ever been any artifacts found in the Gedrosian desert from Alexander's march or any of the others that came before him. I saw on one documentary the piles of oyster shells at or near the beginning of the march that are credited as being left by Alexander's soldiers, but I wonder about that many people being lost in the desert and what they may have left. One would think that there would be a trail of corpses across the desert marked by armor and weapons that should be easily followed. I am not doubting that the march took place but just wondering if anyone has looked at finding more evidence of it.