Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

User avatar
Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by Asander »

Paralus wrote: The entire exercise was, at best, disingenuous. There are other terms for such activity on a forum....
Paralus, I can't take it anymore. You are really destroying my dreams.
How about stop acting like a guardian of absolute truth about Alexander?
Last edited by Asander on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up
User avatar
Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by Asander »

Semiramis wrote: Asander,
My essay is already finished.
Thank you.
Never give up
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:24 am

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by Semiramis »

Why do people on this forum keep talking about dreams? :D

Asander, perhaps you should be grateful I'm not marking your essay. ;)
User avatar
Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by Asander »

Semiramis wrote: Asander, perhaps you should be grateful I'm not marking your essay. ;)
Gratitude.
But you (and others) don't know what is the cause of my essay and why I'm writing about Alexander in my own fashion. Don't judge me, because you don't know my reasons.
Never give up
User avatar
Paralus
Strategos (general)
Posts: 2846
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:13 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by Paralus »

Asander wrote:
Paralus wrote: Faith as history.
Finally you figure it out.
Very early on actually.
Asander wrote: My essay is already finished.
Thank you.
As I'm certain it was when you began the thread. I hope it turned out well.
Asander wrote:Don't you have better things to do, I wonder?
Yes actually.
Asander wrote:If I want to date with three women simultaneoulsy, I will do that because I can.
Though not necessarily this.

Not exactly amongst the topics discussed here. I believe a Mr Sheen - not the little baldy-headed fellow of furniture polish fame - has a site that likely caters for such.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
User avatar
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:51 pm
Location: St.Louis, U.S.

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by spitamenes »

Asander wrote:I don't want to write nonsenses
:D
User avatar
Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by Asander »

spitamenes wrote:
Asander wrote:I don't want to write nonsenses
:D
Regarding the unity of mankind, no one has yet convinced me that is just a nonsense and nothing more. Because there are so many controversated theorys about Alexander, it's ridiculous to say that one theory is a nonsense and the others isn't.

Regarding E. Badian, he is simply destroying both reputations of Alexander and Tarn.



For my essay, I have already chosen Tarn.
Never give up
User avatar
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:51 pm
Location: St.Louis, U.S.

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by spitamenes »

Asander wrote: Was Alexander, a king, equal with his subjects and peoples that he conquered?
No. When it comes to the subject of Alexander, there truely is nothing more I would like to believe than his conquests were for the equality of mankind, or more for the original question, that he believed in the equality of mankind himself. The killing and the selling of tens of thousands of human beings is enough to convince ME that equality was not his top priority. But... we really DON'T know his true intentions, there is a chance that he believed what he was doing really WAS for the common good. The end justifies the means, so to say.
User avatar
marcus
Somatophylax
Posts: 4764
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:27 am
Location: Nottingham, England

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by marcus »

Asander wrote:
spitamenes wrote:
Asander wrote:I don't want to write nonsenses
:D
Regarding the unity of mankind, no one has yet convinced me that is just a nonsense and nothing more. Because there are so many controversated theorys about Alexander, it's ridiculous to say that one theory is a nonsense and the others isn't.

Regarding E. Badian, he is simply destroying both reputations of Alexander and Tarn.

For my essay, I have already chosen Tarn.
Except that the "oath" you quoted is nonsense. It was fabricated 2,000 years after Alexander's death. You cannot argue it any other way.

As for "choosing" Tarn ... well, enough said.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
User avatar
marcus
Somatophylax
Posts: 4764
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:27 am
Location: Nottingham, England

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote:Marcus,
Marcus wrote:And it should be remembered that many of the Greeks were far from keen on Alexander. At best they acceded to granting him divine worship because it made no difference to them; at worst they did it because they were terrified of him.
Demosthenes: "Alexander can be the son of Zeus and of Poseidon if he wishes."
About Demades (one who proposed the idea): "He feared for his opponents. Lest in begrudging Alexander the heavens, they be removed from the Earth by him."
The Spartans: "We agree that Alexander be called a god if he wishes."
Exactly - you can hear the sarcasm literally dripping! :D
Semiramis wrote:
Marcus wrote:"Well, the idea of Persian oppression in Egypt was exaggerated in order to make Alexander's regime change seem more palatable. Admittedly, the Egyptians didn't want to be ruled, and they appear to have welcomed Alexander; but the only real example of "oppression" was the killing of the Apis Bull by the Persians, which it seems probably didn't happen."
I would say any empire is oppressive and the history of Egypt's rebellions are indication that the Egyptians could not tolerate the yolk for too long at a time. However, coming back to the bull - in her book "The Persians", Maria Brosius mentions an inscription from a relatively recent find. Here, Xerxes proclaims that he has honoured the Apis Bull in the proper way. Having come across this I have lost faith in the popular story of Xerxes slaughtering the Bull.

As I've mentioned before, there's no good reason that I can see to doubt the tablet. It's contemporaneous to the event. Either act - honouring or slaying - would have been done by Xerxes for symbolic and propagandistic value. So, there's no reason for him to do one thing and declare another. It appears Herodotus may have gotten carried away with a bit of war propaganda on this one.
Indeed, my point exactly.
Semiramis wrote:Paralus,

Looks like you hadn't been too harsh after all. ;)
Yep, I agree with you there! Apologies, Paralus! :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
User avatar
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:51 pm
Location: St.Louis, U.S.

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by spitamenes »

Asander wrote: Regarding the unity of mankind, no one has yet convinced me that is just a nonsense and nothing more.
You originally asked if it was nonsense about Alexander believing in equality. And that you didn't want to write nonsense, then you say that its ridiculus to call Any theory nonsense. I just don't know what your asking for.
User avatar
Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by Asander »

marcus wrote: As for "choosing" Tarn ... well, enough said.
ATB
marcus,

Last time I checked, I still can choose in a free manner between so many authors and theorys, despite the protests of the majority.
Never give up
User avatar
Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by Asander »

spitamenes wrote:
Asander wrote: Regarding the unity of mankind, no one has yet convinced me that is just a nonsense and nothing more.
You originally asked if it was nonsense about Alexander believing in equality. And that you didn't want to write nonsense, then you say that its ridiculus to call Any theory nonsense. I just don't know what your asking for.
Yes, originally I asked about the equality, but the disscusion advanced. Then I've asked about the unity of mankind. Then I've said that it's ridiculus to call any theory a nonsense.

For some, one theory has a sense, for others don't; and both sides are searching for arguments in sustaining their own beliefs. Still do you not understand?
Last edited by Asander on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up
User avatar
Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by Asander »

spitamenes wrote: But... we really DON'T know his true intentions, there is a chance that he believed what he was doing really WAS for the common good.
Many guys should read this post again, and again, and again.
Never give up
User avatar
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:51 pm
Location: St.Louis, U.S.

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by spitamenes »

I understand where your coming from. And I do believe that no theory should be considered nonsense especially when there are conflicts in the different sources where we get our information. I do hope your essay went well and through all the back and forth discussions some good came out of it for you.
Post Reply