Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Asander
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexander the Great and his 'equality'

Post by Asander »

What is the exact word that Arrianus used to define the relation between Alexander and Roxanne?
Attraction? Love?
Never give up
Asander

Post by Asander »

spitamenes wrote: it was a bold move, political or not. And one that very well could have been done out of love.
I wonder if this move was really necesary.
An historian from my country wrote in his book about Alexander that he fell in love with Roxanne in the first moment he saw her. I quoted him in my essay.
spitamenes wrote: I would "love" to have seen the look on Olymias' face during the reading of THAT letter home! :shock:
Poor Olympias, she loved her son, but Alexander didn't loved her so much.
And Roxanne was a barbarian woman, 'inferior' in front of the Greeks. You're right, what would I give to see the faces of Alexander's friends and companions at the news of Alexander's marriage with a barbarian woman, his first wife. Well said, spitamenes.
Never give up
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Asander wrote:
spitamenes wrote: it was a bold move, political or not. And one that very well could have been done out of love.
I wonder if this move was really necesary.
To Alexander, probably yes. He had tried for nearly two years to pacify the region, and he could not progress to India without having Bactria and Sogdia subdued behind him. He must have felt that he had two options: (1) slaughter every single person in the region, as that would have been the only way to prevent uprisings once he was gone; or (2) to find some other way to keep the region quiet. (1) was well nigh impossible, so he had to find (2) ... and a marriage did the trick.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Asander

Post by Asander »

marcus,

I'm sorry for what I will say next, but you (not only you, actually) describe Alexander like a body without soul or any feelings at all. I remembered now a definition from Iorga, a highly apreciated romanian historian, who was saying that, I quote, "when you write history, you must know that you are painting a life, not a series of mechanical actions."

It's sad. Really. History should be more than a simple mechanic action or insipide theory.

On topic, I have sended my essay to the first teacher via email and after a quick look, he told me that my work could be extraordinary, but then he asked me what scientifical base do I have to mention some own definitions regarding Alexander. And then he tells me a little story concerning my essay. He said that I am like a lunatic who throws a stone into a lake and then ten wise men are trying to take the stone from the lake; after this, he mentioned that I should take this words in a good way, not in a bad way. Whatever, I've told him, because I'd rather prefer to be the lunatic, instead one of the ten wise men.

He didn't yet told me about the fact that I mentioned the unity of mankind theory, but I guess that he didn't read that part yet. I'm waiting until friday for his opinion about the scientifical and romantic parts of my essay.

Did I mentioned that I've maded this essay and demanded my teachers to view it, because I wanted, not because my teachers have asked for it? In my class, I am the only one willing to discuss about Alexander, at any hour - day and night - but I don't have anybody. Actually, this essay . Alexander - saved my mind and spirit.

Since my first post, when my essay had 136 pages, I've been worked withouth stoping (introducing lines of dialogues in english-saxon manner) and now he has 192 pages. I have chosen even a title and I could say that my work advanced into a something more and I will publish him after he will be marked off the record by my teachers.

And then, I think I will tell you all what was the cause of my work.
Never give up
Sweetmemory41

Post by Sweetmemory41 »

Hi Asander, your conversation with the experts about ATG’s equality was very interesting to read. If you see this post, could you please let us know what happened to your paper (thesis)? Did you ever publish your work? Do you still hold the same views about Alexander? Or, did they evolve as you read more about him over the past 11 years?
Demos

Post by Demos »

Assander,
I'm sure you'll never read this, it being some 11 years on, but your conversation was certainly one of the most interesting I've read. Granted I'm still not sure how you can, will or have argued your case, but I've enjoyed it all the same. If you ever come back online, show us how you went with that paper. I doubt I'm the only one wanting to see it.

Demos
:)
tei

Post by tei »

Wow, this was a wild ride 😂 Thank you for pulling it up from the depths!