Second Hand Coffin

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

bessusww
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Second Hand Coffin

Post by bessusww »

During a recent trip abroad I took Andrew Chuggs Quest For Alexanders Tomb.

Although I found some interesting points I must say the book is rather repetative...Where as the Author reiterates points over and over in a kind of way to make it more like it must have been so.

I cant imagine the extravagant funeral Prossesion etc and the same people who went through all this pomp and Expense decided to use a recycled Coffin..Maybe to Andrew it does and maybe some romantics like the idea of the grandest Coffin...But I just dont buy the old coffin re used story.

I dont go along with the so called idealisms that Macedonians wouldnt do this or it was not noble to do something else...I think all is probable and the less savuory motives for anything that happened are more than likely.

However the Macedonian Emblems stones etc in the St Marks Cryot are indeed cause to take a little more notice.

Thanks And hello for my first Visit

bessus
sikander
Somatophylax

Re: Second Hand Coffin

Post by sikander »

Greetings and welcome to Pothos.

I cannot speak long but I wanted to welcome you- you can look forward to many good discussions on this site!

Regards,
Sikander
bessusww

Post by bessusww »

Many thanks indeed...Im sure its just a little look...I get a lot of triggers and Views...Only the Movie starring John Wayne got me a little reflevtive....I have seen Monghol and Indeed the Red Cliffs very much Significant and really gave a better scale to the Actual Size and masses of the Khans Forces...Its Pretty doubtful even CGI movie imaging could really capture the scale...Anyway Ghenghis Khan is pretty much off Subject..But to me an Echo of bad Casting.

I think with feedbacks and watching Colin Farrel interviews he does kind of sound embarrassed about Alexander the Movie...Some do like it I am very sure but apart from some very good tiny parts it was as lame as The Horses hoof carring Cassanders Poson for Alexander at Babylon.

I would however ask advice for the following and anyone who may have toured Turkey...In Greece while on Holiday I have found Alexander the Great items....I am really looking for and interested if there are Replicas of The Pergamon bust for sale in Turkey as I am aware that the Original is in Istanbul?

Any advice

Richard
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

bessusww wrote:I would however ask advice for the following and anyone who may have toured Turkey...In Greece while on Holiday I have found Alexander the Great items....I am really looking for and interested if there are Replicas of The Pergamon bust for sale in Turkey as I am aware that the Original is in Istanbul?
Hi Richard,

The Pergamon Bust is certainly in the Archaeological Museum in Istanbul. When I was last there, in 2006, there were no replicas for sale - had there been, I would have got one! To be honest, the gift shop at the museum is rather poor. I have not seen replicas anywhere else in Turkey, either. However, I am probably going back to Turkey this summer, and I shall be keeping an eye out, because if there are Alexander souvenirs I will be getting them! :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

There is only one company (in Turkey) authorized to make museum replicas of the Pergamon bust. They used to try and sell on Ebay and the first time up, about four years ago, the bust was just under $700. It didn't sell and they stopped listing it. A couple of years later it was listed again for over a thousand dollars!! Haven't seen it on Ebay for a while, but apparently the higher price has held because it can now be found on the Ancient Sculpture Gallery website for $1,099.

Definitely beyond my price range. :lol:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
bessusww

Post by bessusww »

Thanks Marcus

Im sure youe aware there are one or two replicas from Ancient times for Sale in mainland Greece...Some are stupid and pretty much a cartoon...

I have the idea the Pergamon Bust in my head represents and in my head looks like him even If I am miles away..Indeed I would ad an Albaster copy to my collection.

While Im on the subject of Turkey Im booked for June in Kusadasa ans seeking to look at Ephisus..Get a feel for Alexander in Turkey . Ive looked to visit Pergamon but really Alexander never actually went there?

Richard
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

bessusww wrote:While Im on the subject of Turkey Im booked for June in Kusadasa ans seeking to look at Ephisus..Get a feel for Alexander in Turkey . Ive looked to visit Pergamon but really Alexander never actually went there?
Enjoy Turkey in June! I'll be doing the Aegean coast myself - the furthest West I've been in Turkey (apart from Istanbul) is Cappadocia, the rest of the time I've always spend in the east. I'll be starting in Ankara and going down through Cappadocia to Lycia, where I'll get to Aspendos, Phaselis and Telmessus (all of which Alexander visited); then going up to Ephesus, Pergamon and Troy.

It's true that there's no mention of Alexander going to Pergamon - did it even exist when he was around, or was it a later Hellenistic or Roman foundation? From what I've read (very briefly) it appears that it wasn't a proper city until the Hellenistic period, when the Attalids began construction. Therefore it stands to reason that Alexander didn't visit.

I'm excited about finally getting to Troy, although I think a naked race around the tomb of Achilles might be frowned upon! :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

bessusww wrote:
However the Macedonian Emblems stones etc in the St Marks Cryot are indeed cause to take a little more notice.

bessus
. Does anyone know where to find images of these macedonian emblems on st.marks crypt? Thank you...